BIOL3032 Literature-based Research Project
This module provides an opportunity for study in depth of a topic chosen by the student after consultation with the coordinator and an appropriate supervisor.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of this module is to provide an opportunity for study in depth of a topic chosen by the student after consultation with the coordinator and an appropriate supervisor.
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Produce a dissertation of maximum 7,000 words on an agreed research topic
- Use library and other IT facilities to access scientific information
- Assimilate information and synthesise scientific hypotheses
- Produce scientific hypotheses and cite experimental evident in support of them
- Prepare and present a Powerpoint presentation summarising a dissertation
This unit is designed for students who are not taking an experimentally based project. After discussion with the unit co-ordinators the student will select a topic and discuss a specific area of the topic with an appropriate member of staff who will then supervise the project.
By the end of the module, you should be able to: • Design, conduct and write-up a critical review of the literature under supervision. • Place the background to your work and its findings into the context of the wider scientific literature. • Present a coherent written and oral description of your topic in your own words and style. • Synthesise information from several different sources. • Use data and other information properly to support your arguments.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
|Supervised time in studio/workshop||5|
|Total study time||150|
|Dissertation (7000 words)||80%|
|Dissertation (7000 words)||100%|