Professor Martin Feelisch MSc, PhD
Professor of Experimental Medicine and Integrative Biology
- Related links
Martin is Professor of Experimental Medicine and Integrative Biology within Medicine at the University of Southampton.
In biology, a finite number of regulatory modules and organising principles suffice to support life and are used by microbes, plants and mammals alike. As a Systems Biologist (with a predilection toward evolutionary thought and a knack for analytical chemistry) I am interested in unraveling the significance of nitric oxide and sulfur in its various forms for human physiology. Specifically, I aim to understand how their production and availabilities are regulated in the face of rapidly changing demands as a function of nutrient and oxygen supply, physical activity and interaction with the environment; and – above all - how this is orchestrated at the cellular, organ and whole body level.
After the study of pharmacy Martin earned his PhD in pharmacology from the Heinrich-Heine University in Dusseldorf in 1988. He was appointed to the Personal Chair of Experimental Medicine & Integrative Biology at Southampton University in April 2012, following a number of other senior research positions in both academia and industry in the USA and Europe.
- BSc/MSc (Diploma), Pharmacy, Heinrich-Heine University, Dusseldorf, 1985
- PhD (summa cum laude), Pharmacology, Heinrich-Heine University, 1988
- Specialist for Drug Information, Apothekerkammer Nordrhein, 1992
- Expert in Pharmacology, German Society for Experimental & Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology (DGPT), 1992
- Habilitation (venia legendi), Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Cologne, 1997
- Professor of Experimental Medicine & Integrative Biology, University of Southampton, Faculty of Medicine, 2012-present
- Professor of Experimental Medicine and Biology, University of Warwick Medical School and Warwick Systems Biology Centre (MRC Strategic Appointment),
- Professor of Medicine and Biochemistry, Adjunct Professor of Pharmacology, Boston University School of Medicine (Boston, USA), 2003-2007
- Professor of Molecular and Cellular Physiology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (Shreveport, USA), 1999-2003
- Senior Lecturer & Scientific Coordinator, The Wolfson Institute for Biomedical Research, University College London, 1997-1999
- Director of Pharmacology, Schwarz Pharma (Monheim, Germany), 1991-1997
- Department Head, Pharmacology, Schwarz Pharma, 1990-1991
- Visiting Research Scientist, The Wellcome Research Laboratories, Beckenham, 1989/90
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Pharmacology, Heinrich Heine University (Germany), 1988-1989