Robert Charles Read
- Primary position:
- Professor of Infectious Diseases
- Other positions:
- Honorary Consultant Physician to Southampton University Hospitals
Professor Robert Read undertook clinical and research training in Leeds, Bristol, London, Nottingham and San Francisco. He was appointed as an academic infectious disease physician at the University of Sheffield in 1995 and served as Professor of Infectious Diseases there from 2002-2012, prior to moving to Southampton in September 2012.
Professor Read has research interests in the pathogenesis and prevention of rapidly lethal infectious diseases, especially meningococcal and pneumococcal disease, and influenza.
He is the chairman of the Infectious Diseases and Microbiology Specialty Group for the NIHR clinical research network, and Chairs the postdoctoral awards panel for the NIHR Personal Training Fellowships scheme. He was chairman of the 2013 Annual Meeting Program Committee of the Infectious Disease Society of America.
He was appointed as member of the Joint Committee on Vaccine Implementation (JCVI) in September 2013.
He is Editor in Chief of the Journal of Infection and Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, and is author and co-author of 200 publications mainly in the field of infectious diseases.
- B.Med.Sci.(Physiology), University of Sheffield
- M.B. Ch.B, University of Sheffield
- M.R.C.P., UK 1985
- M.D., Sheffield 1992
- F.R.C.P. London 1997
- FRCP Glasgow 2006
Professor of Infectious Diseases University of Sheffield (1995-2012)
Peel Medical Research Trust Travelling Fellow San Francisco General Hospital (1994-1995)
Senior Registrar in Medicine and Infectious Diseases to the Nottingham and Sheffield Hospitals UK (1991-1994)
Research Fellow, Hon. Registrar, National Heart and Lung Institute, Royal Brompton Hospital, London, (1988-1991)
Registrar in Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Northwick Park Hospital and Clinical Research Centre, Harrow, (1986-1988)
Registrar in Medicine Bristol Royal Infirmary (1983-1985)
Senior House Officer in Medicine, Leeds Teaching Hospitals (1983-1985)
Pre-Registration House Officer, Royal Hallamshire Hospital Sheffield (1982-1983)
The University of Southampton's electronic library (e-prints)
Major interests include the pathogenesis and prevention of infections due to N. meningitidis, S. pneumonia, Influenza virus and Salmonella spp, in studies ranging from laboratory investigation of molecular and cellular pathogenesis to controlled human infection studies and vaccine trials.
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Infection, 2005-current
- Editor-in-Chief Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases, 2011-current
- Chair, Infectious Diseases Society of America Annual Program Commitee 2013
- Executive Member and Working Group Co-Chair, International Severe Acute Respiratory Infection Consortium, 2012-current
- Member, Committee for Human Medicinal Products (CHMP) Scientific Advisory Group in Anti-infectives (European Medicines Agency) 2011-current
- Member, Joint ERS/ESCMID Guidelines Writing Committee, Hospital-Acquired Respiratory Tract infections 2013-current
- Member, ESCMID Guidelines Committee, Treatment of Meningitis
- Scientific Affairs Officer, Chairman Scientific Affairs Committee, Executive member, European Society for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID) 2009-2012
- Professional Affairs Officer, Chairman Professional Affairs Committee, European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ESCMID). 2005-2009
- Member, Programme Committee European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 2004-2011
- Member, WHO SARS Emergency Clinical Response Group 2003-2004 (Department of Health Representative)
- Chair, National Infectious Diseases and Clinical Microbiology Specialty Group, NIHR Clinical Research Network Coordinating Centre 2009-current
- Chairman, Personal Awards Scheme, National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) (Postdoctoral Fellowships) Trainees Coordinating Centre 2008-current
- Member, Joint Committee on Vaccine Implementation (JCVI) 2013-current
- Member, Scientific Pandemic Influenza Advisory Committee (SPI) 2009-2012
- Member, Department of Health Influenza Clinical Information Network (FLU-CIN) 2009-2011
Member , Chief Medical Officers Working Group, Pandemic Influenza, 2005-2009
- Member, Department of Health Pandemic Influenza Contingency Plan Clinical Management Guidelines Development Group, 2005-2009
- Member, DH Expert Advisory Group HIV and Infectious Diseases (MHRA) 2006-current
- Member, DH Expert Advisory Group, Biologicals and Vaccines, Commission on Human Medicines, 2007-2013
- Member, British Thoracic Society Community Acquired Pneumonia Guidelines Writing Committee, 2007-current
- External Examiner, Cardiff MBChB (2005-2010), Swansea MBChB, 2006-current, Nottingham BMedSci, 2006-2009.
- External Examiner PhD/MD, various
- Clinical Lead; UK SARS Taskforce, Health Protection Agency 2003-current
Professor Read teaches Infectious Disease and Clinical Microbiology to undergraduates and postgraduate clinicians, and supervises PhD and MSc students.
Professor Robert Charles Read
Faculty of Medicine
University of Southampton
Southampton General Hospital
South Academic Block
Faculty Administrative Officer
Room LD75, D Level, South Block
Southampton General Hospital