The University offers subject-based scholarships for international undergraduate students. You may also be eligible for funding that is specific to students from your country. This includes funding made available through the University's international partnerships with external organisations. If you are an EU student, you may be eligible for our scholarships for UK and EU undergraduates.
Southampton Merit Scholarships
High-achieving undergraduate students starting a course in the 2015/16 academic year may be eligible for a Southampton Merit Scholarship. We offer two schemes: one for UK and EU students, and one for international students.
If you are an EU student, see our information about scholarships for UK and EU undergraduate students.
2015 Southampton Merit Scholarships for international students
These scholarships are worth up to £3,000 per year of study for international students. Scholarships are available for international (non-EU students) starting a course in the 2015/16 academic year. Under the scheme, if you achieve A level grades* that are higher than the grades stated in our offer for a place at Southampton, you could receive £1,000 per A level in each year of study. Scholarships are available for all degree programmes except Medicine and NHS-funded Health Science programmes.
How does it work?
There is no need to apply. To qualify you will need to meet the following criteria:
- You must exceed your stated offer from the University of Southampton in one or more subjects.
- You must achieve a minimum of AAA (A levels) or equivalent in three subjects, or an equivalent standard in your final overall grade (for some subjects this may include your portfolio or audition).
- You must make the University of Southampton your firm acceptance.
- If your University offer is AAA or equivalent and you achieve AAA, you are not eligible for a scholarship.
- If you University offer is AAB or equivalent and you achieve AAA, you receive £1,000 per year.
- If your University offer is AAA or equivalent and you achieve A*A*A, you receive £2,000 per year.
- If your University offer is AAB or equivalent and you achieve A*A*A, you receive £3,000 per year.
Other scholarship conditions
- 'Your offer' will be the highest of any offers you are made, should you transfer to another course. In certain cases where a group of programmes share a first semester any scholarship will be based on the highest offer for that group of programmes. Where the scholarship is based on individual subject grades, a maximum of three subjects will be eligible.
- The maximum sum available per student is £3,000 a year.
- The sum is payable at the end of the first term of study for each year of your course.
- To be eligible for a scholarship after the first year, you must have achieved the necessary academic standard to progress to the next year of study.
- The scholarship is not payable for any year of study that has to be repeated.
*If you have studied an equivalent school leaving qualification, the scholarships may apply to your final grades in individual subjects or to your final overall grade, depending on your qualification.