There are two options during your time at Southampton: University accommodation or private rented housing.

Relaxing in the kitchen

Relaxing in the kitchen

University accommodation

As an international student enrolling in 2015, you will have a guaranteed offer of accommodation in our Halls of Residence during your first year of study and one subsequent year if:

  • You meet the terms of your offer of a place to study
  • You normally live outside Southampton
  • You are unaccompanied (i.e. you do not bring any dependants such as a partner and/or children with you) 

To maintain your guarantee as a current student in your second year, you will need to re-apply for accommodation in University halls. We will notify you of the specific closing date for applications in good time.

If you are from the European Union your accommodation is guaranteed for the first year of your studies only. This guarantee does not apply to visiting and Erasmus students, although the Accommodation Service always does its best to find suitable housing.

Visit our accommodation pages to find out more.

How to apply

You can find out more about our accommodation and apply by visiting the University’s Accommodation website.

  • Make sure that you have your offer letter before completing the online application form. You can apply for accommodation as soon as you receive a conditional offer, although your room may not be allocated until you receive an unconditional offer. 
  • Apply online and track the progress of your application through the Accommodation website. Check your email account regularly, as the Accommodation Service will send you the details of your allocated room by email. You will then need to accept the offer within a short deadline.
  • If you are a new postgraduate student you will need to pay a deposit of £350, which will be refunded when you pay for your accommodation fees. 
  • The Accommodation Service can arrange female-only and male-only accommodation, or flats with vegetarian students only. If you are interested in any of these options you should specify this on your application form.

Private rented housing

The Accommodation Service can help you find private rented housing, lodgings or bed and breakfast accommodation. It also produces a guide with essential advice on private renting, a regularly updated list of housing vacancies and a comprehensive list of letting agencies.

If you wish to find your own accommodation, we recommend that you visit the University to discuss your needs with the Accommodation Service and view properties in person before you start your course. You should arrive well in advance of the Welcome Programme so that you have enough time to find accommodation beforehand.

Before you start to search for private rented accommodation or enter into an agreement with a landlord, we recommend that you read the University’s publication, How to open the door to Private Rented Housing.

Students with families

We offer some accommodation for mature students accompanied by their families but cannot guarantee this. If we can not find you University accommodation, the Accommodation Service will assist you in finding a place in the private rented sector. In these cases we advise that you should arrive in advance and only bring the rest of your family to Southampton when your accommodation has been arranged. is a company that can deliver a starter pack of the essentials you need when you move into a hall of residence. Visit the All-unied website for more information. Please note that is a private company not connected to the University of Southampton.


For all queries contact the Accommodation Service: tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3994 or via the contact form on their website.