Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Finance, Planning and Analytics

Southampton University Students' Union Retirement Fund (SUSURF)

SUSURF is a defined contribution retirement scheme provided by Royal London and administered by the University of Southampton and the Students' Union for employees of the Students' Union.
Life assurance and ill health benefits are also provided to members.


You can join SUSURF if:

  • You are an employee of the Southampton University Student's Union; and
  • You are employed in a role equivalent to a University role at levels 1-3; and
  • You are employed on a permanent or fixed term contract of at least 12 months; and
  • You are aged 18 or over and up to state pension age.

You will be contractually enrolled into SUSURF with effect from the date you become eligible to join.


Do I have to join SUSURF?

You can opt out of the scheme at any stage of your membership. However, to comply with pension auto enrolment legislation you will be enrolled back into a pension scheme at each 3rd year anniversary of the Students' Union staging date.

Please contact Students' Union HR team if you would like to join or re-join the scheme.

Can I join at a later date?

If you do not join SUSURF when first able to do so, or if you decide to opt out of the scheme, you can join or re-join the scheme at a later date by request to the Students' Union.

Please contact the Students' Union HR team if you would like to join or re-join the scheme

What happens if I don't join or if I opt out of SUSURF?

If you decide not to join SUSURF, or decide to opt out later, you will not be saving towards a pension for retirement or be covered by life assurance if you were to die while employed by the Students' Union.


  • The Students' Union cannot ask you, force you or offer you incentives to opt out of the pension scheme.
  • If you are asked or forced to opt out, you can tell the Pensions Regulator - visit
  • If you change your mind, you may be able to opt back in – contact the Students' Union HR team if you want to do this.
  • If you stay opted out you will normally be enrolled back into one of the Students' Union's other pension schemes at each three year anniversary of the Auto Enrolment staging date.
  • If you leave the Students' Union your new employer will normally enrol you into its pension scheme.
  • If you have another job, your other employer will normally also enrol into its pension scheme.


Can I transfer my benefits from my previous pension scheme?

It is possible to transfer benefits from a previous pension arrangement into SUSURF.

Please contact Royal London for more information on how to do this.

Further SUSURF information

Further information about the scheme and Royal London can be found by following the links below:

Royal London homepage

About Royal London

How a pension works


Death benefits

Ill health and temporary absence

Privacy Settings