Are you eligible?
To study abroad as an exchange student you must:
- be registered at the University as an undergraduate, postgraduate or doctoral student
- have successfully completed your first year of undergraduate study
- study in an Academic Unit which has a link with an international partner institution
- have the academic and linguistic ability to benefit from a study period abroad
- be nominated by your Academic Unit to take part in the scheme
Study abroad with Erasmus
The Erasmus programme covers study exchanges of 3-12 months at one of our partner institutions in Europe. As a student on the Erasmus programme you are entitled to Erasmus funding.
Find out more about how you can study or work abroad as part of your degree.
Summer School programmes give you the chance to complete a shorter period of study abroad, normally 4 weeks over the summer break. As one of our students, on some of these programmes you will be entitled to a full or partial fee waiver under our international agreements.
Find out more about summer school opportunities.
Come to Southampton on exchange
As a student at an overseas institution, coming to the University of Southampton as an exchange or study abroad student gives you the chance to enjoy the educational, social and cultural opportunities of life and study in the UK for a semester or a year.
Find out about more about studying at Southampton on exchange.
Countries covered by the Erasmus programme are:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey and the UK
Other exchange opportunities
We also offer exchanges at partner institutions outside Europe. Most of our partnerships are specific to particular subjects, but we also have a number of university-wide partners. They are:
- University of Adelaide
- University of Sydney
- University of Western Australia
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
For more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org