We provide support for all our researchers to enable world-leading research.
At Southampton, we help nurture the careers and goals of our researchers, through specified support services such as the Doctoral College and Research and Innovation Services (RIS). We help our researchers navigate the complete research life-cycle and develop the skills they need to join the next generation of research leaders.
Research and Innovation Services (RIS)
Our Research and Innovation Services team help and support our researchers across a number of areas:
- Promoting funding opportunities, pre-award and bid management support, facilitating the early start of research projects through to contract management and support in ethical approval
- Reviewing, issuing and negotiating contracts to protect the our researchers’ and the University's interests, whilst enabling successful collaboration
- Our dedicated EU Office offers support to researchers bidding for all types of European funding
- Our Technology Transfer Managers help our researchers to navigate the complex commercialisation process
- We have a long established record of generating and managing Intellectual Property (IP) with a portfolio of over 350 active patent families. We identify the most appropriate forum for protecting and utilising IP
- We work with researchers to navigate regulations and advise on good practice to maintain and improve the integrity of our research activities
Develop with our Doctoral College
Our Doctoral College is the hub of the University's vibrant and inspiring doctoral research community. It is the focal point for doctoral training and researcher development, supporting our postgraduate researchers through:
- A varied programme of training and activities to develop your skills
- Pastoral care services which are tailored to your needs to ensure your wellbeing
- Maximising your career opportunities both within and outside of academia
- Working collaboratively across the University to enhance the quality of your experience