Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Doctoral College

Getting Started


Your first week as a student will be extremely busy, so we want to make it as easy as possible for you to carry out the important tasks that must be completed before you start your studies. Registration involves several steps and the Welcome page will guide you through everything you need to do before and once you arrive at the university.

As part of the registration process it is essential that you enrol as a student. You will need to do this when you first start your course and at the start of each academic year after that, while you continue your studies in full time registration.

ID Card

You must apply for your student ID card before you arrive, as you will need it to access many of the facilities and buildings on campus, including the library and faculty buildings. 

When you apply for your ID card you will be given the option to choose additional services, which require payment. This includes the option to sign up for membership of the University’s sports facilities. 

How to apply

Log in using your University username and the password via the following link. Make sure you have a suitable digital passport-style photo ready to upload.

Lost Card

If you lose your ID card, you can order a new one via the University online store. If replacements are required for changes to programme dates, then these will be checked by the Student Records team before the new card is printed.

Enrolment Status

The Faculty Graduate School Office can provide you with a certificate to confirm your status as a student (e.g. for bank account opening purposes). Please ensure that you give at least 48 hours’ notice of your requirements (longer at peak times such as at enrolment or during the examination periods). 

Your award certificate will be produced using the legal name data you have provided within your student record. Please make any necessary amendments to your record as soon as a change occurs to ensure that your certificate contains accurate information. Changes are made via Banner Self Service.

In accordance with the Fees, Charges, and Expenses Regulations a scale of fees exists for the provision of certificates, transcripts and award certificates.

University Fees

Fees for Doctoral Programmes are listed on the Postgraduate Research Fees webpage and are reviewed annually. Information on funding and postgraduate loans can be found here.

If your studies are funded partly or fully by an external organisation, the University will continue to request payment of fees until you enter nominal registration. If your candidature will extend beyond the period of funding agreed by your sponsor, it is your responsibility to enter into discussions about funding arrangements beyond this period. You will become personally liable for the payment of your tuition fees once your sponsor’s funding period has ended.

Keeping in Touch


We will use your University email account to contact you personally when necessary. We will not use any other email accounts or social networking sites to contact you personally. It is your responsibility to check your University email account regularly and you must not let your inbox exceed your storage limit. Notification that you are due to exceed your storage limit will be sent to your University email account and you should take immediate action as you will be unable to receive further emails once your storage limit has been exceeded. 

If you experience any issues, please contact iSolutions.

Once you graduate, you will be provided with a free University of Southampton alumni email account. You can use it as a professional email for business correspondence as well as staying in touch with University academics and friends. The alumni email address is easy to remember because it is based on your current email but with the word ‘alumni’ added. The new Office 365 accounts will use the following format: Any emails sent to your existing Southampton University email address will appear within your new account. Alumni email accounts are accessed via Your username and password will be the most recent one you used for your Southampton account. For more information or support please contact Serviceline.

Written Correspondence

Formal correspondence regarding your programme of study (e.g. suspension, transfer or withdrawal from programme, academic performance (including progression/referral information), issues of academic integrity, student complaints and academic appeals will be sent to your term-time (TT) or permanent (PM) address listed as active on your student record. You are responsible for advising the University if you change your permanent or term-time address. The University will not be held accountable if you do not receive important information because you failed to update your student record.

Access to Facilities

Facilities and equipment to support students’ research should be made available and explained in a clear statement to you. These facilities should meet in full the expectations of the relevant Research Council(s), and will include as a minimum:

  • access to appropriate space to work, as indicated by the research student’s Academic Needs Analysis and by Faculty policy;
  • the provision of laboratory and technical support where appropriate;
  • sole access to a computer from the standard range and access to appropriate electronic resources of the University. Faculties should have a mechanism by which research students may request a computer with a more powerful specification and access
  • specialist electronic resources;
  • appropriate access to email, telephone and photocopying facilities;
  • opportunities to meet and network with other research students and researchers;
  • appropriate library and other academic support services;
  • opportunity to apply for funds to support training opportunities and for attendance at conferences and other relevant events.

Advice should be sought from Enabling Services (Disability Advice and Guidance, Learning Support, Assistive Technology) with regard to accessing any specialist equipment or assistive technology for research students who may need such support.

Part-time research students are normally allocated space on a shared basis only.

PGR Manager

PGR Manager is a browser-based software which tracks a postgraduate research student’s progress against Research Milestones as prescribed by the University’s Regulations for Research Degrees and the Code of Practice for Research Degree Candidature and Supervision, from registration to graduation. The system allows students to view the submission dates for their milestones and track their progression through the research programme.

Students will complete the following milestones through PGR Manager:

  • Academic Needs Analysis
  • First Progression Review
  • Second Progression Review (confirmation)
  • Third Progression Review

Students are also able to:

  • Request a change of mode of their study 
  • Request to transfer to nominal registration
  • Record professional development and research training records

It is compulsory for all staff and students to use PGR Manager. You can access PGR Manager via the following link.

Gradbook & Training

The University of Southampton’s Doctoral College co-ordinates a range of skills training and personal development opportunities for doctoral researchers, designed to complement the training delivered at academic discipline level.

The training is organised within a number of themes which run through all stages of candidature, with a mix of compulsory and optional courses (online and face-to-face provision). Professional Development Programme information can be found on the PGR Development Hub.


The University of Southampton is committed to carrying out its research, teaching, enterprise and other activities within a comprehensive ethical framework.

This is reflected in the University’s values:

We value freedom to push the frontiers of knowledge forward, within an ethical framework, for the global good of humankind

The underpinning principle for any ethical review should be to ensure that in undertaking any research, consultancy, enterprise activity or project the University strives to do positive good and avoids causing harm.

Activities which involve research/studies on human participants, their tissues or data and on animals will always require formal ethical consideration. However, the University believes ethical issues should be interpreted broadly and that review might also be needed for research, consultancy and enterprise where other factors could be present including:

  • a risk of damage to the environment
  • political or social sensitivity
  • impact on culture and cultural heritage

It is the University’s expectation that staff, students and visitors should be aware of ethical considerations, ensure that they act in an ethical manner when engaged on University business and conduct their projects and studies to the highest ethical standards.

Read the full University of Southampton Ethics Policy.

The International Office

International Office staff have extensive experience advising and supporting international students and University colleagues on a wide range of issues. They also develop and maintain relationships with Government ministries, agencies and other sponsoring or scholarship organisations. More information can be found on their webpages or you can contact for further guidance.

Student Visas/Tier 4 Information

If you are studying here on a Tier 4 visa, there are certain conditions (responsibilities) that you are expected to comply with during your time in the UK. Please refer to the Visa and Immigration Student Advice Service webpages for further information.

The Visa and Immigration Student Advice Service provides students with information and guidance on visa and immigration issues; the Team offer three drop-in sessions a week and visa advice appointments. To book a visa advice/submission appointment, you must first attend a visa drop-in session as it may be possible to answer your question quickly and/or give you important information about what to bring to your visa advice/submission appointment. Information on the drop-in service, appointments, and contact details is available here.

If your situation changes, please consult the Visa and Immigration Student Advice Service to find out if it will affect your visa status. You must ensure that you inform your supervisory team and the Faculty Graduate School Office immediately if there is a change to your circumstances that will affect your ability to continue studying in the UK. Please note that whilst the Faculty Graduate School Office is responsible for ensuring that your student record is correct and reflects your current circumstances, they are not legally allowed to offer you any immigration advice.

Please note, most postgraduate research students granted a visa for a PhD that fail a progression milestone and are given the option to transfer to an MPhil programme, cannot do so on their current visa as the MPhil is at lower academic level. Such students must leave the UK and apply for a new visa for their MPhil programme of study. More information can be found on the Visa and Immigration Student Advice Service website.

Research Training Support Grants

Depending on how you are funded, you may be eligible for an RTSG. In addition to the following costs and expenses, please check details of RTSG regulations with respective funding agencies.

RTSG funds may be used for the following purposes:

  1. Year 1 Computer ‘Uplift’ Costs –if a computer of higher specification than the standard iSolutions machine is required and supported by the supervisor
  2. Conference attendance, normally providing the student is presenting. This requirement may be waived in cases where students wish to travel to conferences that are local and do not involve an overnight stay.
  3. Appropriate summer schools and training courses.
  4. Travel, subsistence and other costs associated with research activities or fieldwork.
  5. Purchase of small items of IT equipment e.g. tablets, hard drives, routers, network devices.
  6. Purchases of books or other reading materials where these are not provided as standard or available through the University Library or through inter-library loans.
  7. Publication costs (though note that open-access charges for publications by students funded by UKRI or some charities should be applied for prior to submission (see
  8. Other research expenses supported by the supervisor for the needs of the student’s research or training. These would not normally include substantial consumable, equipment or fieldwork costs unless there is a significantly larger RTSG funded by an external source. The RTSG should not be used to relieve the University or research group of any part of its normal expenditure.

Students and supervisors should discuss the RTSG budget with their supervisory team and its use at the initial Academic Needs Analysis, and at least at the annual reviews thereafter. Expenditure should normally be agreed in advance with the main supervisor.


An ORCID iD is a unique researcher identifier, used worldwide, that you keep throughout your life and retain even if you move institution. ORCID iDs look like a credit card number: 0000-0001-8414-9272.

It is increasingly becoming the method of choice by funders and publishers globally to unambiguously link people to their publications and grants.

You can register for an ORCID iD or to connect your existing ORCID iD with the university by using Pure. See the guide on Your ORCID iD and Pure for more details.

Your ORCID record is owned and managed solely by you, not the University.

Find out more ORCiD information via the Library.

Use of Social Media

We understand that students are increasingly using social networking sites to interact with members of their student community. You should note that any behaviour that affects other members of the University community or members of the general public in ways which might damage the standing and reputation of the University may be subject to disciplinary action within the scope of the University's Regulations Governing Student Discipline.

Social Media

Keep up to date with what is happening with the Doctoral College on our Facebook page and Twitter feed.



I need help with...

Privacy Settings