Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
We're launching a new website soon and would love your feedback. See the new design
Student Disability & WellbeingPart of Student Services

Support Outside Of The University

If you would prefer to speak to someone outside of the University, the below services may be useful for you.

NHS and Healthcare Support

There are various NHS services that can be helpful following a rape or sexual assault. To find out more, click on the link above.

Yellow Door

Yellow Door support people who have experienced any form of sexual violence or abuse whether it has happened recently or in the past. They acknowledge that it can be very difficult to find the words to talk about what has happened to you, and many people respond to traumatic experiences in different ways, which is why Yellow Door offer a range of different free support services for different needs.
Yellow Door are based in Southampton.

Treetops Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)

Treetops SARC is based in Portsmouth but cover all of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. All Treetops SARC staff are specially trained to provide sensitive and well informed support in a non-judgmental manner and will ensure you are treated with dignity and respect at all times.
The services Treetops SARC can provide include:
- a supportive environment for victims of rape or sexual assault
- specially trained female crisis workers who will support you in whatever decisions you make
- information and support on the choice of whether or not to report the assault to the police
- forensic medical examination by a specialist doctor, which will be carried out as sympathetically as possible, and can be undertaken whether the police are involved or not. The examination may include, where appropriate, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception and STI testing as appropriate, at the time of referral.


Hampshire Police can be contacted to report rape, sexual assault, harassment or stalking. The above link gives some helpful advice about how the police view these crimes. You can report to the police by calling 999 if you need immediate assistance or 101 in non-emergency situations or for advice on reporting. The University can support you in making this first contact if you would find this helpful.

Victim Support

If you’ve been affected by crime, Victim Support can give you the support you need to move forward. Their services are free, confidential and available to anyone in England and Wales, regardless of whether the crime has been reported or how long ago it happened.

Return to Expect Respect home page
Privacy Settings