Skip to main navigation Skip to main content
The University of Southampton
Psychology graduate leavers pack Careers

Educational psychology

Job Summary

As an Educational Psychologist you would help children and young people with learning difficulties, or with social or emotional problems to learn and develop to the best of their abilities. Educational Psychologists may be attached to schools, or may work with local education authorities (LEAs) to provide support to children who are 'statemented' or who have identified special needs.

You would carry out a number of duties:

Educational Psychologists usually work in public settings such as LEAs, schools, colleges, and nurseries, social services, child guidance clinics or private practice. They can either work directly with the children or indirectly through the parents, teachers and working with other health and education professionals. A growing number of Educational Psychologists are working as independent or private consultants.

As an Educational Psychologist, your salary can vary incredibly. You would typically earn around £25k-£60k depending on your level of experience, and whether you work in a public or private setting.

To find out more about life as an Educational Psychologist, take a look at the BPS video:

Qualifications – How do I become an Educational Psychologist?
1) You will need a 3 year degree in Psychology that meets the standards of accreditation by the British Psychological Society. Qualification with a 2i or more provides eligibility to apply for GBC (Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of the BPS).  If you achieve a 2:2, then you will need to complete a Masters or have exceptional experience.

2) For acceptance onto a postgraduate course, you will need relevant experience of working with children. You need a minimum of one year’s full-time (or the equivalent if part-time) experience of working with young people in an educational, health, social care, youth justice, childcare or community setting.

3) You will need a 3 year Doctorate in Educational Psychology (D. Ed. Psych) which provides the eligibility to apply for registration with the HPC (Health Professions Council) and to gain eligibility to become a Chartered Psychologist. Find out more about the Educational Psychology Funded Training Scheme (EPFT).

• The University of Southampton offers a well-established Doctorate in Educational Psychology .

• The National College for Teaching and Leadership manages applications and possible funding for postgraduate courses – find out more here

What relevant work experience would I need?
It is often very competitive to obtain a place on a postgraduate course in Educational Psychology. Work experience may be just as important to a postgraduate selector as your degree. It proves that you are committed to the particular area and it helps you to stand out from the crowd.

The following points include examples of relevant work experience, some include jobs in the local area.

Privacy Settings