About the courses
The programmes are designed for international students who:
- need to improve their language skills as a condition of entry to the University of Southampton, or
- have already met the English language conditions for entry to the University, but who want to find out more about the use of English in academic study and the expectations of academic life in the UK.
The programmes aim to:
- help you to develop the English Language skills you will need to follow a degree course or undertake research at a British university
- help you to develop the necessary cultural and study skills for effective learning through the medium of English
- introduce you to life in Britain and to British culture
- give you a chance to settle in to the British academic environment before starting your programme of academic study at Southampton.
Students who successfully complete the Pre-sessional Programme (i.e. achieve an appropriate overall final grade) are considered to have met the English language requirements of the University of Southampton.
Please follow one of the links below to view the Pre-sessional Programmes on offer:
The University of Southampton Students Union (SUSU) provides a social programme for students on the Pre-sessional programmes. This includes onsite activities such as a welcome tea, farewell party, film screenings, sports activities, and social events such as games and quiz nights, and karaoke. There are also trips to other cities, some of which are subsidised by the University. SUSU also provide student helpers, whose role entails helping you to settle into life in the UK and at the University.
For more information on the Students Union, please visit the SUSU website.
Meet and Greet
To welcome our international students to the UK, Humanities are pleased to offer pre-sessional EAP course students a collection service from Heathrow Airport in London the day before their course begins. Students will be met at London Heathrow Airport and directed to a coach service which will take them to their accommodation in Southampton. Find out more about our Meet and Greet service.
The University of Southampton offers a wide variety of sports facilities. For more information, please visit the Sport and Wellbeing homepage.
When we confirm your place on the Pre-sessional Programme, you will automatically be allocated a room in the University Halls of Residence for the period of the Pre-sessional programme.
Details of which residence you have been allocated to will be sent to you one week before you are due to arrive. The rooms will be single rooms within a flat / apartment of similar rooms, with a shared kitchen. All rooms have a bed, wardrobe, desk and chair. Bedding packs are provided. Where possible the rooms will have an en-suite bathroom but this is not guaranteed. Some flats are single gender and all students who require single gender accommodation can be accommodated.
To apply for a course, please complete the online application form.
If you have a question, or would like further information, please contact our Admissions Team:
+44 (0) 23 8059 3344
English Language Admissions
Recruitment and Admissions Team
University of Southampton