The University of Southampton
Warning! Your browser is out-of-date and not compatible with this website. Please download a new secure and faster browser to view this website correctly.
University life

English language support

The University offers a range of options for English language support. You can study English alongside your degree, or take a pre-sessional course to improve your language skills before your degree programme begins.

English language requirements

Reources include computer-based English packages
The Centre for Language Study

If English is not your first language, you will need to show that you can speak, write and understand English well enough to benefit from your university studies.

You will need to provide evidence that you have:

English language requirements vary for different degree courses. Check the details of the courses you are interested in for specific requirements. If you are still unsure, you can visit the country pages for more information or contact the International Office.

See a list of the qualifications and tests recognised by the University and a list of exempt countries.

For information about academic entry requirements, please see the details for your chosen course or visit the page for your country for general entry requirement information.

Studying English before starting your degree

Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes

If you need to improve your English language skills before you start your degree, you can apply for one of our pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes (EAP) courses for undergraduate or postgraduate students. These take place during the summer, before the start of the academic year.

As well as general English language programmes, there are specific courses for students interested in our art and design degrees, business and management degrees and Master of Laws (LLM) postgraduate degrees.

English for Academic Study

Another option is the English for Academic Study course which runs over three semesters. The minimum level of English you need to start this programme is IELTS 4.5.

Term time English courses

The Language Resources Centre has a range of English language resources
Learn English during your degree

We also run an English for Academic Purposes support programme during term time, so you can improve your English while you study for your degree. The courses are free to international students, and cover topics such as

Find out more about the term time English for Academic Purposes programme.

Other English language resources

Other English language resources and services include:

English language support for visiting students

If you are visiting the University on an Erasmus exchange or other visiting programme, you can take English language degree unit courses. You can study these either as main or alternative subjects in your academic programme.

Students at a lecture

Find a course

Check the English language and academic entry requirements for your course

A student talks to the University's Meet and Greet representative

Arriving in the UK

Find out about the warm welcome you will receive, including our free Meet and Greet service

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.