Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Careers and Employability Service

International Students

With roughly 5000 students from more than 135 different nations studying here we are truly an international university.

As an international student you have access to all of our services, however, we have identified some additional resources that you may find useful to help settle in the UK and understand the employment market. We also work closely with the International Office and the Students' Union:

Getting a National Insurance (NI) number

  • You need an NI number if you want to work in the UK as it is linked to the tax system.
  • You can apply for an NI number if you can prove that you have the right to work in the UK and that you are either currently working, or actively seeking work.
  • You can start work without an NI number but are advised to apply for one as soon as possible after starting work.

To get a National Insurance (NI) number please visit the UK Government website GOV.UK.

For more information on working in the UK please go to the Student Services pages.

If you are interested in working outside of the UK, please see our Working Abroad webpage.

Register of Sponsors Licensed Under the Points-based System

The UK Government website GOV.UK has a list of organisations licensed to sponsor migrants under Tiers 2 & 5 of the Points-Based System. It shows the organisation's name (in alphabetical order), the tier(s) they are licensed for, and whether they are A-rated or B-rated against each sub-tier. A sponsor may be licensed under more than one tier, and may have different ratings for each tier.

UKCISA - After your studies

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has developed this section of their website to provide an overview of the main immigration categories for work after study, illustrated by case studies from international students. There is detailed information for international students coming to the end of their studies in the UK whether you are considering staying in the UK or returning home to work. You will have to register on the UKCISA site to gain access to the information.

UKCISA have also compiled some case studies - and for more information please see:


There are a number of ways that the University of Southampton can support your English language development:

English for Academic Purpose Toolkit

This can be accessed from your home page of Blackboard (the University's virtual learning environment). The resource contains over 100 interactive learning resources or 80 hours of activity-based learning and covers Learning Skills, Academic Writing, Reading and Critical Thinking, Listening and Note-Taking, Communication Skills, Grammar and Vocabulary for Academic Purposes.

Language Support classes

These face-to-face classes run throughout the academic year. You can find out more information from the English for Academic Purposes website.

One-to-one language tutorials

These are held at the Language Resource Centre at Avenue Campus and are free to all University of Southampton students. Language and Academic Advising sessions give students the opportunity to discuss any issues related to language learning or academic development on a one-to-one basis. Students can make appointments with advisors to talk about ways to practice foreign languages independently or how to improve in general academic English skills. To book an appointment online please go to or for more information email

Support through faculty

Students can check with their faculty or department to see if they are offering discipline-specific classes.


Students can also look at additional resources on the Student Services English Language Support pages.

If you are applying for a job or a study programme in the UK, but have qualifications from outside the UK, how do you know that you satisfy the necessary requirements?

UK NARIC provides information and advice about qualifications and skills to individuals from overseas; their services are designed to assist you when applying for jobs and courses in the UK

For information on translating your qualifications please visit the UK NARIC web page.

*Please note this service is chargeable*

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.