Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Human Resources

Working overseas - Immigration and visas

If you are visiting or working overseas you must make sure that you meet the visa and immigration requirements of the host country. A work visa is often required, even for short-term assignments. Other forms of visa (business, visit, travel) usually have strict limitations and are generally inadequate where work is being undertaken in the host country. Tourist visas are almost always inadequate if you are travelling on University business.

Visa and immigration requirements will vary by country. You should check with the relevant embassy or consular office for up to date information on the requirements of the host country. If you require further advice or support to obtain a visa you can contact a specialist visa agency such as CIBT visas. If your visit is part of a longer-term engagement (rather than a simple business trip) where the University will need to obtain tax and legal advice, we can also obtain immigration and visa information advice at the same time.

If you visit or work overseas without the correct authorisations in place, you could be subject to fines, deportation or detention, and the University may be blacklisted from future employment or engagement with the host country.

Find out more

Privacy Settings