English REF submission

English is recognised for world-leading research

Our research covers a wide chronological range, from the early Middle Ages to contemporary writing, and is interdisciplinary in its approach.

We are active in a number of research centres within Humanities - the Centre for Modern and Contemporary Writing, the Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Culture, the Southampton Centre for Eighteenth-Century Studies, the Southampton Centre for Nineteenth-century Research, and the Parkes Institute for the study of Jewish/non-Jewish relations.  We also have a special link with Chawton House Library.

Joining the debate

We organise frequent conferences, annual postgraduate colloquiums and regular research seminars which are open to academics, students and the general public.

Spanning a range of interests

Find out more about our academics, their areas of expertise, their publications and contact details.

Breaking new ground

Our research projects range from medieval mapping to the ways multi-lingualism shapes poetry.

Crossing disciplines

We are active in a number of research centres within and beyond Humanities.

Key facts

English at Southampton prides itself on its research-led teaching and we are delighted to have been recognised in the 2014 Research Assessment Framework 2014 for the following:  

  • 96% of scholarship produced by the English department was recognised to be of international quality.
  • 39% of our books and articles were recognised as "world-leading" (4* - the highest category); this puts us 9th in this category against other UK English Departments and it is the 3rd highest score in the University.
  • 70% of our research environment was categorised as 'world-leading' and the other 30% was 'internationally excellent'; this was the 4th highest score awarded by the English panel on that measure and the 5th highest score in the University.
  • 100% of our impact strategy was recognised as 'world-leading' or 'internationally excellent'.
  • Since the Research Assessment Exercise in 2008, our 4* world-leading research has improved by 64%

Meet our academic team

What's related

We offer two research degrees at the University of Southampton. Click to find out more

Find out more

Discuss your ideas with experts

Professor Catherine Clarke in action

Discuss your ideas with experts

Other University of Southampton sites