Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
PsychologyUndergraduate study

How do I become a Teacher and Researcher?

Students in a lecture
Academic Teaching

1) You will need a 3-year degree in Psychology that meets the standards of accreditation by the British Psychological Society. Qualification with a 2i or more provides eligibility for GBC (Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of BPS).

2) You will need relevant experience.

3) You will need a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) in an applied area of Psychology (at least three years being supervised and assessed).


Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership of BPS - Basic requirement for postgraduate study in Psychology

Teaching at GCSE or A Level

Teaching at GCSE or A Level is different and instead of the PhD, individuals would need to complete a 1 year PGCE or an Education Degree to obtain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Relevant work experience will still be needed.

Privacy Settings