University of Southampton

Student visas and immigration

If you need a visa to study in the UK, our Visa Guidance Team is here to help. Our experienced staff can support you through the student visa application process and give you advice on UK immigration issues.

Find out if you need a student visa

You may need a visa for UK study

It is important to apply for your visa as far in advance as possible

You may need a visa for UK study

Before you come to study in the UK it is important to find out whether you need a visa and how UK immigration procedures may affect you. Make sure you find out well in advance as it can take a long time to get a visa. If you need a Tier 4 student visa, you can apply up to three months before you start your studies. You can apply when you have been accepted on a course and have received your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).

Visit the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) website to find out whether you need a visa and how long it will take to process your application.

Support for your visa application

You can find lots of information about applying for a student visa on our Visa Guidance web pages. This includes some helpful videos that explain the application process and show you how to fill in the online UKVI form.

Staff in the University’s dedicated Visa Guidance Team can also offer expert advice on visa and immigration issues. They have plenty of experience of helping students and their dependants to successfully apply for visas.

Find out more about visas and immigration

Visit our Visa Guidance web pages to find out more about:

• how to apply for or renew a student visa

visas for family members

registering with the police

working while you are studying in the UK