Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Student and Academic AdministrationAdmissions

CAS Guidance for Students

In order to obtain a Tier 4 Visa, students must score 40 points under the points-based visa system. 30 points are awarded for having a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). 10 points are awarded for having enough money to cover the course fees and monthly living costs for up to one year.

The CAS is a virtual document, similar to a database record, that the university assigns to an applicant using the UK Visa & Immigration (UKVI) online Sponsorship Management System portal. The CAS is issued to the applicant by the University in the form of a unique reference number called a CAS number. A CAS Statement is emailed to the student which summarises some of the information on the CAS.


Frequently Asked Questions about CAS

Enquiry form

You can contact us through our online enquiry form. We strongly encourage people to contact us through the online enquiry form rather than emailing us directly.

Please note: The information contained in this website is believed to be correct at the time of publication. The University of Southampton is not responsible for the content of external webpages or information published by Government bodies.

Privacy Settings