Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Doctoral CollegePostgraduate Research Handbook

Facilities within the Faculty

Access to Facilities

The Faculty is required to provide students with:-

  • access to appropriate space to work, as indicated by the research student's academic needs analysis and by Faculty policy;
  • the provision of laboratory and technical support where appropriate;
  • access to either a laptop or a desktop computer from the standard range; a request for a more powerful specification computer forms part of the initial Academic Needs Analysis discussion
  • appropriate access to email, telephone, and photocopying facilities;
  • opportunities to meet and network with other research students and researchers;
  • appropriate library and other academic support services;
  • opportunity to apply for funds to support training opportunities and for attendance at conferences and other relevant events (including fieldwork).

Advice should be sought from Enabling Services (Disability Advice and Guidance, Learning Support, Assistive Technology) with regard to accessing any specialist equipment or assistive technology for research students who may need such support.


Humanities currently offers workspace within dedicated PGR study rooms, each with access to workstations, internal telephones, photocopying facilities and technical support.

There are five PGR study rooms at Avenue campus:

  • Two in building 65: 65/2125, 65/2127
  • Three in building 65b: 65b/2005, 65b/2007 and 65b/2009.

There is an Archaeology PGR study room in Building 65a and a Music PGR study room in Building 2 for the use of Archaeology and Music students, equipped in the same way as the Study Rooms at Avenue Campus.

Students are sent the door codes for the rooms in 65 by email at induction. Please contact the Graduate School for these as an alternative.

Please be aware that the study rooms currently only offer docking stations, separate keyboard, monitor and mouse for PC Laptop users not Mac users.

Please read the  PGR Working Space Policy and the Faculty's Code of Practice for the Use of PGR Study Rooms in conjuction with paragraph 52 of the Code of Practice.

A limited number of fixed desks are available for students with a documented medical need. The desks are allocated on a yearly basis. For more information please see the PGR Working Space Policy mentioned above and then contact the Graduate School Office for guidance.



Once applicants have accepted their offer to study at Southampton, the admissions team will ask them if they would like a laptop. If so, students will need to request this as per the instructions from the admissions team selecting either a PC laptop or a Mac laptop. At registration, those students who have ordered one will be provided with a laptop for the duration of their candidature. This is to be returned to the Graduate School Office upon submission of the final (post-viva) thesis. Students cannot be awarded until the laptop has been returned.



A limited number of lockers are available outside some of the study rooms. For more details please see the PGR Working Space Policy. A deposit of £50 is payable for all lockers. Locker keys are to be returned to the Graduate School Office along with the laptop and final copy of the thesis and the deposit will then be refunded. Students cannot be awarded until the locker keys have been returned.

To request a locker please contact the Graduate School Office.



PGR students do not have to pay for printing. More information can be found here.

This excludes the printing of the thesis. Students must not use university photocopiers to produce their thesis for examination or for their final copy. Students may be issued with a bill for the costs, if they do. Please see paragraph 48 of the Guidance for Completion of Research Degree which states:

"You are responsible for the payment of all costs incurred in the preparation and submission of your thesis."

If students are printing large volumes it should be sent to the University printing facilities. Copier usage is regularly monitored by the Faculty and students who do print exceptionally large volumes may be asked for an explanation.

Finally, students who have an FSS award (for teaching on the UG programme) must NOT use their student card for printing documents relating to their teaching. They must use their staff ID or send it to the university printing facility, as above.


If you wish to attend a conference or visit a laboratory, you should discuss the matter with your supervisor in the first instance. 

It is the responsibility of any PGR student, and their supervisor, undertaking travel relating to their PhD studies to read the FAH PGR Students International Business travel guidance before the PGR student travels. For the purposes of this document International travel refers to all travel outside of the UK.

The student must complete the FAH PGR Students Business Travel Form and get this signed by their main supervisor before travelling. The form must then be returned to the FOS member of staff for Internationalisation, Claire Wilkins (

Both the student and supervisor should refer to the guidance notes on whether they need to complete an off-site working risk assessment form or general risk assessment form. Links to these forms can be found on the guidance notes. If a risk assessment is needed for business travel, particularly international travel, please ensure it is prepared and signed off by a member of the supervisory team prior to the planned travel.

Events around the world continue to highlight the importance of planning trips appropriately and remaining vigilant while away. The University’s International Business Team have put together a comprehensive list of the things to consider whilst travelling abroad on business. It includes information on what you should consider when writing your risk assessment and what to do if you experience difficulties whilst travelling overseas.

Research Funding for Fieldwork, Conference Attendance or Travel Expenses- Non Funded Students

Non-funded students

Humanities makes available a nominal sum of money for fieldwork, travel expenses or conference attendance to non-AHRC/Wolfson funded students. Students must apply in advance for funds unless applying in the first round. Humanities PGR Student Research Fund Guidelines and Application Form should be completed by the deadlines as stated in the guidance.

Supervisor Information

Supervisors should be aware of the faculty's travel/research fund and support their students should they make an application to access this fund. The application requires supervisory sign off so please ensure it is signed by an appropriate member of the supervisory team.


Research Funding for Fieldwork, Conference Attendance or Travel Expenses - AHRC funded students (not SWW DTP)

AHRC students (not SWW DTP) students have access to a travel fund as part of their award. The AHRC Student Research Fund Guidelines and Application Form should be completed. Applications should be submitted at least one month prior to the proposed study visit/conference attendance.


Research Funding for Fieldwork, Conference Attendance or Travel Expenses - SWW DTP funded students

AHRC SWW DTP students claim in a variety of ways depending on the claim.

For travel expenses for Cohort Days:

  • Students are advised that they should travel as cost-effectively as possible and that all receipts must be provided in order to reimbursement to be made
  • Travel by train or bus must be standard class only
  • Mileage is paid at 25p per mile up to a maximum of 1000 miles
  • Accommodation should not be reimbursed unless the student has made a request to the Hub and can provide evidence with the claim that their request was approved
  • Parking costs will be reimbursed if a student has driven and a valid receipt is produced
  • We will write in the correct subproject code so you don’t need to worry about this 

You must submit the travel expenses claim within two weeks of the date of the cohort day.

Once received your claim will be approved by the Director of the Graduate School and passed to the Humanities Finance team for processing. Please note that there may be a delay of several weeks between putting in the claim and receiving reimbursement. In order for the reimbursement to be paid by BACS to your nominated bank account please make sure you have updated the bank details section of your Student Record via SUSSED.


Research Funding for Fieldwork, Conference Attendance or Travel Expenses - Archival/Honor Frost Foundation funded students

expenses against their dedicated expenses pot each year. The claim must be made within the financial year that the event occurred. The claim form to be completed can be found by going to the following link, selecting Finance Form Store (you may have to log in with your username and password), selecting the Travel and Expenses Documents/Travel Claim Documents and downloading the Travel Claim University Personnel form. Once completed please return the form to the Humanities Graduate School Office for approval and state that you are an Archival/Honor Frost Foundation funded student.


Research Funding for Fieldwork, Conference Attendance or Travel Expenses - Wolfson funded students

Wolfson funded students will be paid their fieldwork/travel or conference expenses pot at the start of the academic year so do not need to submit claims. Please be aware that as a result, Wolfson funded students may not request funding from the Humanities PGR Student Research Fund. 


Research Funding for Fieldwork, Conference Attendance or Travel Expenses - SMMI Leverhulme funded students

SMMI Leverhulme funded students who started from 2015/16 onwards have a dedicated RTSG funding pot from which they can claim each year. Students are aware of the amount of this pot per student each year but can ask the Graduate School Office for confirmation should they require. The claim must be made within the financial year that the event occurred. The claim form to be completed can be found by going to the following link, selecting Finance Store (you may have to log in with your username and password), selecting the "Travel and Expenses Documents" then "Travel Claim Documents" and downloading the "Travel Claim University Personnel" form. The form must be signed by the student's supervisor as the authorising signatory. Once completed please return the form to the Humanities Graduate School Office to insert the subproject code and pass onto the Faculty Finance team for processing.


Inter Campus Travel Faculty Funding

The Doctoral College and Deans of Faculties have agreed that when a doctoral student needs to do significant travelling between University of Southampton sites, the Faculty to which the student belongs will pay for those specific costs rather than the student. Each faculty has been asked by the Chair of the Doctoral College to develop its own process for doing this.

As such, in the Faculty of Humanities, if a student needs to carry out significant amounts of travel between the Avenue Campus (or Highfield in the case of Music students) and either NOCS, the General Hospital or Winchester School of Art, the faculty will pay the bus fares for such travel if the claim is supported by the student's supervisor. Travel between Avenue and Highfield Campus may not be claimed. Only bus fares can be claimed, not car/bike mileage or parking.

Should a student need to claim bus fares in line with the criteria above they must:

  • complete a "Travel Claim University Personnel" form which can be obtained from the University's Finance Form Store, selecting Finance Store (you may have to log in with your username and password), selecting the "Travel and Expenses Documents" then "Travel Claim Documents" and downloading the "Travel Claim University Personnel" form
  • Return the form to the Graduate School Office within ONE MONTH of the travel with:
    • an accompanying email from the student explaining the requirement to travel to the specific location for research purposes
    • an accompnaying email from the supervisor approving the claim
    • the receipts for the bus travel

The Director of the Graduate School, Professor Chris Janaway can then approve the claim and add the relevant subproject code to the form. The Graduate School Office will then pass the claim form onto the Faculty Finance team for processing.


The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding

The University has a subscription to The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding, which means current students can access it for free. The guide focuses on a major alternative but underutilised source of postgraduate funding: charities and trusts. You can use it to look for sources of funding for fees, maintenance, conferences, field trips, and travel. The guides was written by two recent postgraduates who between them have won over £45000 for 55 different charity awards. It contains model personal and financial statements, and over 250 links to voluntary sector funding sources.

University of Southampton staff and students can download a copy of The Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding from our Researcher Portal.


Other Sources of Funding

Grants for Individuals is available through the e-Resources in the Library. You will need to use the username and password available on the Library website found here



I need help with...

Privacy Settings