Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Doctoral CollegePGR Handbook

Winchester School of Art

Winchester School of Art

Below you will be able to find information specific to Winchester School of Art.


PGR Tracker

PGR Tracker is a browser-based software which tracks a Postgraduate Research student’s progress against Research Milestones as prescribed by the University’s Regulations for Research Degrees and the Code of Practice for Research Degree Candidature and Supervision, from registration to graduation.  PGR Tracker holds: student record data; documents uploaded by students; records of supervisory team meetings; progress reports; confirmation of PhD registration documents; manually updated training records; training records auto loaded from Gradbook; supervisory team information; key administrative forms; and some financial information.

It is compulsory for all staff and students to use PGR Tracker. The only exceptions are:

  • Students registered in the Faculty of Medicine.
  • Students registered in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, excluding the Winchester School of Art (i.e., those in WSA must use Tracker)

The Balance between Practice and Written Work

For text-based projects the final output for an MPhil should be equivalent to 50,000 words and that for a PhD equivalent to 75,000 words. For practice-based projects the written component must be 35,000-45,000 words. The supervisor should advise the student at the start of their studies how much writing and making is expected in order for the student to complete the programme satisfactorily.

Inter Campus Travel Faculty Funding

The Doctoral College and Deans of Faculties have agreed that when a doctoral student needs to do significant travelling between University of Southampton sites, the Faculty to which the student belongs will pay for those specific costs rather than the student. Each faculty has been asked by the Chair of the Doctoral College to develop its own process for doing this.

As such, in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, if a student needs to carry out significant amounts of travel between the Avenue Campus (or Highfield in the case of Music students) and either NOCS, the General Hospital or Winchester School of Art, the Faculty will pay the bus fares for such travel if the claim is supported by the student's supervisor. Travel between Avenue and Highfield Campus may not be claimed. Only bus fares can be claimed, not car/bike mileage or parking.

Should a student need to claim bus fares in line with the criteria above they must:

  1. complete a "Travel Claim University Personnel" form which can be obtained from the University's Finance Form Store, selecting Finance Store (you may have to log in with your username and password), selecting the "Travel and Expenses Documents" then "Travel Claim Documents" and downloading the "Travel Claim University Personnel" form
  2. Return the form to the Graduate School Office within ONE MONTH of the travel with:
  • an accompanying email from the student explaining the requirement to travel to the specific location for research purposes
  • an accompanying email from the supervisor approving the claim
  • the receipts for the bus travel

The Director of the Graduate School can then approve the claim and add the relevant subproject code to the form. The Graduate School Office will then pass the claim form onto the Faculty Finance team for processing.


River Park Leisure Centre – Winchester

Winchester School of Art students studying and living in Winchester may join River Park Leisure Centre which offers subsidised membership for our students.


I need help with...

Privacy Settings