Educational aims of the programme
The aims of the programme are to:
Teaching and learning methods
Having successfully completed this programme you will be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
1. Mathematics and science that are relevant to aerospace engineering.
2. The fundamental concepts, principles and theories of aerospace engineering and an appreciation of their limitations.
3. Detailed knowledge and understanding of the essential facts, concepts and principles relevant to the practice of aerospace engineering.
4. The principles of engineering design and manufacture and their application to conceptual and detailed design.
5. Information and communication technology relevant to the practice of aerospace engineering.
6. Management and business practices that are relevant to the Aerospace manufacturing industry Advanced management and business practices that are relevant to the aerospace manufacturing industry.
7. Health and safety issues, risk assessment and regulatory frameworks.
8. The social and professional responsibilities of aerospace engineers.
9. Environmental issues and the importance of aerospace engineering to the quality of the environment.
10. The role of the engineers in society and the constraints within which their engineering judgement will be exercised.
11. Material relevant to your specialist theme at an advanced level.
Teaching and Learning Methods
Acquisition of 1 is through a combination of lectures, tutorials (small group teaching), example classes, laboratory experiments, coursework and projects.
Acquisition of 2 - 5 is through a combination of lectures, tutorials, example classes, laboratory experiments, coursework and individual and group projects at all Levels.
Acquisition of 6, 7 9 and 11 (MEng only) is through a combination of formal and special lectures, coursework and projects throughout the course. Acquisition of 6 is further enhanced when you opt for the Engineering Management theme.
Acquisition of 8 is through lectures and coursework throughout the programme.
Throughout the programme you are encouraged to use additional recommended reading material for private study to consolidate the formal learning process, and to broaden and deepen your understanding. You are encouraged to become student members of the professional institution, to use their libraries and resources, and attend meetings.
Acquisition of 10 is through the project activities at level 6 (BEng and MEng) and 7.(MEng only).
Testing of the knowledge base is through a combination of unseen written examinations (1, 2, 5, 6, 11) and assessed coursework in the form of problem solving exercises (1-4), laboratory reports (2-4), design exercises (4, 6-9), essays (7-9) and individual and group projects (2-10, 11).
Our research is relevant to your undergraduate course because you will be taught by people who are experts in their area of research. This is especially important for science subjects, where knowledge is advancing rapidly. This is particularly true for your final year. In your third year, you have the opportunity to do group design exercise.