About this course
Study aerospace design while learning how to manage its processes, people and finances. You’ll explore many aspects of aerospace engineering, including the design and manufacture of fast-moving aircraft and spacecraft, before specialising in strategy and project management. This course aims to help engineers quickly progress into key positions in the aerospace industry.
Aeronautics and Astronautics looks at the science, engineering and manufacture of aircraft and spacecraft. You'll learn how they operate within our atmosphere and in space.
You’ll study the principles of aerospace engineering, then take more advanced modules specialising in business strategy, finance, and managing people and projects.
In year 3 you'll do an individual research project. In year 4 you’ll take part in a group design project.
You’ll have access to our extensive facilities, which include:
dedicated student design studios and workshops
the largest wind tunnel in any UK university
state-of-the-art jet engine and space propulsion facilities
a flight simulator
a professional manufacturing centre
As part of this course you can:
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
attend site visits to experience engineering in practice
apply your engineering knowledge to solve a real-world problem
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code HH44 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Develop your knowledge of aerospace engineering and learn how to design the aircraft, race cars and rockets of the future on this accredited Masters course.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Aerodynamics
- This accredited Masters course will give you the skills to design vehicles, wings and propulsion systems. Prepare for a career in aerospace or Formula 1.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Airvehicle Systems Design
- Build your knowledge of aerospace engineering on this accredited Masters course specialising in airvehicle design. Prepare for a career in the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Computational Engineering and Design
- This accredited Masters course will build your knowledge of computational methods in aeronautics and astronautics. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Materials and Structures
- Develop an understanding of the materials and structures used in aircraft and spacecraft on this accredited course. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Semester Abroad
- Spend a semester abroad on this accredited Masters course in aeronautics and astronautics. Develop the knowledge and skills to work in the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Spacecraft Engineering
- Learn to develop the spacecraft of the future with this accredited aeronautics and astronautics degree. Develop the skills to work in the aerospace industry.
This course is based at Boldrewood, Southampton.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.