About this course
Discover how to use computers to help model and optimise aeronautic and astronautic designs. MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Computational Engineering and Design with teach you how to research and solve new aerospace challenges, with a focus on computational methods.
Aeronautics and Astronautics looks at the science, engineering and manufacture of aircraft and spacecraft. You'll learn how they operate within our atmosphere and in space.
You'll focus on computational engineering, which is a core skill to help aerospace engineers optimise their designs.
On this aerospace computational engineering course you'll have access to our extensive facilities, which include:
dedicated student design studios and workshops
state-of-the-art jet engine and space propulsion facilities
professional manufacturing centre
Formula 1 teams and Olympic athletes have used our largest wind tunnel for high-performance testing. It's the largest wind tunnel at any UK university.
As part of this course you can:
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
learn workshop skills
take a week long flight testing workshop
join the University Formula Student team or the University Air Squadron
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H4H1 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Develop your knowledge of aerospace engineering and learn to design aircraft, race cars and rockets on this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics master's degree.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Aerodynamics
- Our MEng Aeronautics & Astronautics with Aerodynamics degree teaches you to design vehicles, wings and propulsion. Prepare for an aerospace or Formula 1 career.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Airvehicle Systems Design
- Build your knowledge of aerospace engineering on this MEng Aeronautics & Astronautics with Air Vehicle Systems Design degree. Prepare for space industry career.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Engineering Management
- Develop your skills and build your knowledge on this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Engineering Management degree. Prepare for a career in aerospace.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Materials and Structures
- Develop your knowledge with this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Materials and Structures master's degree. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Semester Abroad
- Expand your knowledge and experience with a semester abroad on this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics degree. Develop the skills to work in the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Spacecraft Engineering
- Learn to create spacecraft of the future with our MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Spacecraft Engineering degree. Develop skills to work in the aerospace.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.