About this course
MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Aerodynamics will give you the knowledge and skills to analyse and control aerodynamic behaviour. You'll learn how to design vehicles, wings and propulsion systems. The aerodynamics degree prepares you for a career in the aerospace or Formula 1 industries.
Aeronautics and Astronautics looks at the science, engineering and manufacture of aircraft and spacecraft. You'll learn how they operate within our atmosphere and in space. On this race car aerodynamics course, you'll focus on vehicles, wings and propulsion systems.
You'll have access to our extensive facilities, which include:
dedicated student design studios and workshops
state-of-the-art jet engine and space propulsion facilities
professional manufacturing centre
Formula 1 teams and Olympic athletes have used our wind tunnel for high-performance testing. It's the largest wind tunnel at any UK university.
As part of this course you can:
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
learn workshop skills
take a week long flight testing workshop
join the University Formula Student team or the University Air Squadron
Our links with employers will enhance your career prospects. This is a BAE Systems preferred course and we have close links with many other key employers.
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code HH41 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Develop your knowledge of aerospace engineering and learn to design aircraft, race cars and rockets on this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics master's degree.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Airvehicle Systems Design
- Build your knowledge of aerospace engineering on this MEng Aeronautics & Astronautics with Air Vehicle Systems Design degree. Prepare for space industry career.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Computational Engineering and Design
- Build your knowledge with this MEng Aeronautics & Astronautics with Computational Engineering and Design degree. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Engineering Management
- Develop your skills and build your knowledge on this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Engineering Management degree. Prepare for a career in aerospace.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Materials and Structures
- Develop your knowledge with this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Materials and Structures master's degree. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Semester Abroad
- Expand your knowledge and experience with a semester abroad on this MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics degree. Develop the skills to work in the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Spacecraft Engineering
- Learn to create spacecraft of the future with our MEng Aeronautics and Astronautics with Spacecraft Engineering degree. Develop skills to work in the aerospace.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.