About this course
This course will give you the knowledge and skills to analyse and control aerodynamic behaviour. You'll learn how to design vehicles, wings and propulsion systems. The course prepares you for a career in the aerospace or Formula 1 industries.
Aeronautics and Astronautics looks at the science, engineering and manufacture of aircraft and spacecraft. You'll learn how they operate within our atmosphere and in space. This course focuses on the aerodynamics of vehicles, wings and propulsion systems.
You'll have access to our extensive facilities, which include:
dedicated student design studios and workshops
state-of-the-art jet engine and space propulsion facilities
professional manufacturing centre
Formula 1 teams and Olympic athletes have used our wind tunnel for high-performance testing. It's the largest wind tunnel at any UK university.
As part of this course you can:
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
learn workshop skills
take a week long flight testing workshop
join the University Formula Student team or the University Air Squadron
Our links with employers will enhance your career prospects. This is a BAE Systems preferred course and we have close links with many other key employers.
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code HH41 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Develop your knowledge of aerospace engineering and learn how to design the aircraft, race cars and rockets of the future on this accredited Masters course.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Airvehicle Systems Design
- Build your knowledge of aerospace engineering on this accredited Masters course specialising in airvehicle design. Prepare for a career in the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Computational Engineering and Design
- This accredited Masters course will build your knowledge of computational methods in aeronautics and astronautics. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Engineering Management
- Develop engineering management skills while building knowledge of aeronautics and astronautics on this accredited course. Prepare for a career in aerospace.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Materials and Structures
- Develop an understanding of the materials and structures used in aircraft and spacecraft on this accredited course. Work in engineering or the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Semester Abroad
- Spend a semester abroad on this accredited Masters course in aeronautics and astronautics. Develop the knowledge and skills to work in the space industry.
- Aeronautics and Astronautics / Spacecraft Engineering
- Learn to develop the spacecraft of the future with this accredited aeronautics and astronautics degree. Develop the skills to work in the aerospace industry.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.