Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
Student ServicesVisa and immigration

Enrolment & Registration

Hello and welcome to the University of Southampton. To officially join the university, please enrol. Please note there are additional registration steps for non-British and Irish nationals.


Before you begin studying, you will need to attend a 'right to study check' if you are not a British or Irish national.

At the right to study check we will look at your passport or travel document and evidence of your immigration permission. If you have a Tier 4 or Student visa, we will also need to see the qualifications used to make you an offer for your programme.

You can check which qualification documents are required on your CAS statement. Please note that we must see original documents and cannot accept scans/photos or copies.

You can find examples of the right to study documents we need to see in 'Useful Downloads' at the bottom of this page.

If you are starting a new programme in September or January, you will be invited to attend an International Registration appointment to complete your right to study check.

If you are continuing on the same programme, you will not need to attend International Registration unless you are returning after a period of suspension, you are returning after having repeated your studies externally, or you are collecting a new visa from the University.

For each subsequent year of study, you will need to enrol online at the beginning of each academic year.

Passport and immigration permission

The University is required to keep a copy of your current passport or travel document and your current immigration permission.

If you have a Tier 4 or Student visa for a programme longer than 6 months, your immigration permission will usually be in the form of a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you have changed your immigration status to another visa type or permission, it is important you inform us as soon as possible. We may need to remove sponsorship of your Tier 4 or Student visa.

Therefore, if you are issued with a new passport or visa/immigration permission during your studies, you must provide these to the VISAS Team so we can update your student record. 

You will need to send a scan or photo of your passport and/or both sides of your BRP card to or to the same address via safe send.  We will contact you again if you need to visit the Student Support Hub in-person with your original document.

Online enrolment

I have a visa check hold which is preventing me from completing my online enrolment. What should I do?

You should attend a right to study check. If you are starting a new course or returning to your studies in September or January, the right to study check will be at an International Registration appointment.

If you already attended International Registration and you are still experiencing this problem, contact us using the link below.

If you are starting your course or returning to your studies at another time during the year, please contact us.

Useful Downloads

Need the software?PDF Reader
Contact Us

Contact Us

You can contact us by email and through online chat. We also offer online 1 to 1 appointments.

The information contained in this website is believed to be correct at the time of publication.

Please note: The University of Southampton is not responsible for the content of any external websites.

Privacy Settings