Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
The Student HubVisa and immigration

Travelling abroad during your studies

Information and guidance on travelling outside of the UK during vacation periods or during authorised absence.


Students must consider attendance requirements before travel.
Students must consider attendance requirements before travel.

It is very important that you only plan to travel abroad either during your allowed vacation dates (this varies upon level of study) OR if you have been granted authorised absence.

If you need to leave the UK for urgent reasons please contact the VISAS team as soon as possible.

If you leave the United Kingdom outside either of these conditions then you may be denied access back into the United Kingdom.

If you are uncertain about your attendance requirements or authorised absence then please contact us directly. 

Links for more information about attendance requirements and authorised absence are available at the bottom of the page.

Important documents to travel with abroad

Students should carry certain documents when travelling abroad.
Students should carry certain documents when travelling abroad.

In order to minimise the likelihood of having problems re-entering the UK, we advise you to carry the following documents in your hand luggage for inspection by Border Force Officials, if necessary:

Your travel documents are very important and losing them will prevent or delay your re-enter to the UK which may impact on your studies. You should keep your documents safe and we also recommend that you have scans or copies of your passport and immigration documents. If your documents are lost or stolen while you are travelling please contact us at the earliest opportunity and follow the guidance on our lost passports and visas page.

Schengen visas

Schengen Visas permit visits to countries within the Schengen area.
Schengen Visas permit visits to countries within the Schengen area.

Many students will want to travel to Europe at some stage during their studies.

We are unable to advise on Schengen visas but a letter may be required to apply for a Schengen visa. To get a Schengen letter please contact The Student Hub




The Schengen area currently covers the following countries:

Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland.

Please note that the United Kingdom, as well as the Republic of Ireland, are NOT part of the Schengen area.

Useful external links

Please note: The information contained in this website is believed to be correct at the time of publication. The University of Southampton cannot accept responsibility for the content of external websites.

UKCISA - Passport, Visa and BRP ProblemsUKVI - Report a Lost or Stolen BRPUKCISA - Travel in Europe

Useful internal links

Attendance and absence
Visa drop-in and appointments

Visa drop-in and contact details

You can talk to one of our visa advisors by either coming along to one of our visa drop-in sessions, or you can contact us directly. 

Privacy Settings