Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton
The Student HubVisa and immigration


If you are on a Student visa and are considering undertaking a work placement, please read the following questions and answers about placements.  if your question is not answered here then please contact us.

Can I be sponsored under a Student visa to undertake a placement during my programme of study?

Yes, provided that it meets the following conditions:

  • The placement is an integral (i.e. non-optional) part of the course.
  • The placement is an assessed part of your course, and contributes to the final mark of your programme.
  • The placement does not take up more than 50% of your course (or more than 33% if you are studying below degree level).

You should maintain contact with your faculty throughout your placement.

The University must notify the UKVI when a student is on placement.  If you are transferring to a programme with a placement year please contact us.

How long can my placement be?

If your course is at degree level or above the placement can be up to 50% of the total length of the course.

What if I want to undertake a work placement that is not a part of my course?

Whether or not this is permitted on your Student visa depends on when the placement is due to take place and how many hours you will work:

  • outside of what is considered term-time for your programme/level of your course, a full-time work placement is permitted unless it is a type of work that is not permitted.  Please refer to work restrictions.
  • during term-time - cannot exceed normal working hour restrictions and cannot interfere with attendance on campus

What if I want to take a full year out to undertake a placement in the UK?

If this is not an integral and assessed part of your programme of study then you will need to suspend from your course, and we will need to withdrawn sponsorship from your Student visa.  This means that your Student visa will be cancelled, and you will have 60 days to either leave the UK or apply for a new visa.

You will then need to apply for a new visa when you want to return to study.

Under no circumstances can any student sponsored under a Student visa be self-employed. In addition, students cannot be employed as a doctor in training, an entertainer or as a professional sportsperson (including sports coach).  Students sponsored under a Student visa are also not permitted to fill a permanent, full-time vacancy.


Please note: The information contained in this website is believed to be correct at the time of publication. The University of Southampton is not responsible for the content of any External Websites. 

Contact us

Contact us

You can contact us by email and through online chat.



The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) - Further Information on work placements.

Privacy Settings