International Voices

Three and a Half Months In My New Home!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

It has already been three and a half months since I left from the “sunny Greece” to come and live in the “sunny Southampton”. No I am not joking,  Southampton can be sunny too. However,  believe it or not, I really love the english rainy days.  Those mornings that I can watch the dark clouds on the sky along with the fog that makes everything invisible, from the window of my room.  And it is not only the misty mornings that make me love this city so much but also the amazing people that live here. From my friends inside and outside the university up to the cleaner of my flat. What about the food though? When I first came here along with my friend we thought that we were going to miss the greek cuisine but that turned out not to be a problem. In a short period of time we managed to discover one of the best greek restaurants in the city, Lemoni Grill House and for dessert,  a visit at Sprinkles Gelato for a waffle is all you need.

I like this place and culture so much that I even refused to return back to my country to celebrate the Christmas holidays with my family. I chose to stay here and explore this country as much as I could along with the company of some really good friends of mine.  In the beginning we weren’t sure from where to start so we just decided to visit the most famous place in the UK, London. To say that we just liked the city, it would be an understatement. WE LOVED IT.  We went everywhere! Well, almost everywhere. We didn’t have time to pay a visit to the Queen for a cup of tea and a little chit chat. However, we visited the British Museum, in which I had the opportunity to explore the famous Greek exhibition.

The best part though for me was the London Eye. A glass of champagne along with my good friends and a guy that decided to make  a marriage proposal to his girlfriend on his knees was all we needed to enjoy the 30 minutes tour over the majestic city of London.

But now we are back to Southampton ready to deal with the upcoming exams and the new semester, full of energy, happy memories and the company of a hot chocolate from Coffee#1 ,while the planning for the next holidays has already started.

Maria Romanou

International Student Digital Ambassador