Prepare your application
The online application form takes about 30 minutes to complete.
Typically when you apply, you’ll need:
- your personal details
- how you plan to fund your studies
- project title
- supervisor name (you should speak to the supervisor before applying)
- 2 academic references from your most recent place of study
- an academic transcript of your undergraduate degree showing modules and marks achieved
- an academic transcript from your Master's degree showing modules and marks achieved if you have already graduated
- undergraduate degree certificate and Master's degree certificate (if you have already graduated)
- English language qualification (if required)
- CV (also referred to as a resume)
- personal statement
- research proposal (if you are planning your own project or if it states you need to provide it)
Apply as early as possible if you need to secure a UK visa or if you are applying for funding or sponsorship. Deadlines for research funding are usually at least 6 months in advance of the start date.
Some projects will have a different application procedure. This is usually the case when the project is funded by a doctoral training partnership.