How will I be taught?
You will be taught and supervised by researchers at the cutting edge of their discipline.
You will have the opportunity to learn about the latest world changing research directly from the people who are creating it.
We will provide you with a study environment that includes some of the best facilities and equipment in the world, from super computers to major historical archives, from wind tunnels to a national concert hall. We will challenge the way you think, and we'll encourage you to challenge what you're taught.
Key face-to-face teaching and learning methods
- Lectures are the backbone of most courses and can bring together groups of students on different courses.
- Seminars are used to explore ideas in greater depth.
- Tutorials consist of even smaller groups, with your tutor providing guidance on the detailed study of specialised topics.
- Virtual learning environments allow you to view and download course materials, lecture slides and resources, complete eAssignments, submit coursework, and easily connect to your work no matter where you are.
- Your personal tutor will be on hand to support you throughout your course, helping you develop independent thinking.
How will I be assessed?
Throughout your studies we will assess your work.
This assessment will help you learn and develop a range of skills to prepare for your future, whether in employment or as a postgraduate student.
We use a variety of methods to assess your work and progress. They include a mixture of:
- group work
- computer-based assessment
- work-based learning
- a final-year project or dissertation
Feedback from assessments is a vital tool for your personal learning and development. It takes a variety of forms, from individual written comments to dedicated group sessions. You will also exchange valuable feedback with your fellow students.
Virtual Learning Environments
Our Virtual Learning Environments (VLEs) allow you to work easily from any location.
With online access to our VLEs 24 hours a day, you can fit your learning around your life and make the most of the academic, social and sporting opportunities available on campus.
All you have to do is log in to the University network on any device and our Virtual Desktop Infrastructure allows you to pick up exactly where you left off. You'll also benefit from:
- 24 hour instant access to subject materials, lecture slides and resources on Blackboard. You can also engage in forum discussions with other people on your course, and interact with lecturers.
- Full use of Office 365. This means your documents are safely stored in the cloud, and that you can edit the latest version no matter where you open it from. It comes with 1TB of online storage, and allows you to download Microsoft Office Pro Plus to 5 different devices.
- Online coursework submission through Turnitin. This makes it easy to submit your essays as soon as they are done.
- Access to a suite of online courses through Lynda. Boost your skills, productivity and employability by learning how to edit video, write HTML, design using Photoshop or use Excel.
- Sharing documents with your study group using SharePoint. Perfect for working on group assignments easily and efficiently.
As one of our students you'll have access to our extensive computer services.
- Over 1,700 computer workstations with high-speed internet access, and an extensive bank of course-specific specialist software. All our workstation rooms also come with printer, scanner and CD/DVD writer access. You can use our workstation finder to see where your nearest free PC workstation is at any time (we have workstations on our campuses and at our halls of residences).
- Free WiFi across campus, and at other universities through our Eduroam service. During the holidays you can easily access Eduroam WiFi at a university near your home. Visit the Eduroam website to find out where you can use Eduroam.
- Fixed and wireless high-speed internet in halls and across campus. Every one of our rooms comes with high-speed internet.
- Access to BoBnational, a shared online off-air tv and radio recording service for higher education institutions. You can choose to record any broadcast programme, which is then kept indefinitely.
- My Southampton App gives you on-the-go access to vital university information including services, maps, timetables, contacts, library loans, and PC workstation availability.