The module will provide a foundation in contemporary economic geography, focusing on the ways in which economic, political and social processes construct the profound diversity of modern economic life.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Evaluate the merits of alternative theories and approaches in economic geography.
- Pursue knowledge in an in-depth, organised and logical way.
- Understand the ways in which geography is integral to contemporary innovation, economic knowledge, creativity and production.
- Abstract and utilise information on economic change from a range of different sources.
- Understand the relationships between production, value, knowledge and innovation as they shape particular economic places.
- Understand the processes driving spatial economic differences in a global era, and the roles of key actors such as firms and the state.
- Design and complete two substantial essays in economic geography to a high standard.
- Understand and analyse critically literature on key contemporary themes and transformations in economic geography.
- Structure conceptual and empirical geographical material into a reasoned and justified argument.
- Understand theoretical perspectives on economic geography and the causes of key transitions in the nature of the contemporary space economy.
The course is likely to cover these topics:
Cities and uneven development
Specialization and agglomeration
Regional inequality in the UK
Money and Financialization
Economy and Nature
Alternative concepts of economic development
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
This module is delivered via lectures and your learning will be supported by independent study.
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Coe, N., Kelly, P. and Yeung, H. (2013). Economic Geography: A Contemporary Introduction. John Wiley and Sons.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External