- Music and sound in audiovisual culture
- Film theory and aesthetics
- Horror films and culture
- British and Irish film and TV
- Film musicals and rock and pop musicals
I am currently writing a monograph about evolutionary psychology, human perception and audiovisual culture. I am also co-editing three books: Haunted Soundtracks (with Aimee Mollaghan), Folk Horror Films: Return of Britain's Repressed (with Louis Bayman) and Music in Chinese Language Auodiovisual Culture Since the 1990s (with Ruby Cheung).
Current PhD Students
I attended the University of East Anglia and the University of Cardiff, where I was taught by film theorist Thomas Elsaesser, film historians Charles Barr and Andrew Higson, novelist W.G. Sebald, composer Denis Smalley and parapsychologist David Fontana. As a research student I was teaching assistant to Laura Mulvey and Pam Cook. I have taught at the University of Wales, Aberystwtyth, Staffordshire University and the University of East Anglia before I joined the University of Southampton in 2007.
- American Musicological Society Subvention Award (Andrew Mellon Foundation and National Endowment for the Humanities) (2013)
- Southwest Popular/American Culture Association, Peter C.Rollins Book Award for Best Film and Television Book (2016)