In partnership with the British Council, the University of Southampton is offering 5 fully funded scholarships for female students applying for an eligible programme from several South Asian countries.
The aim is to help address the underrepresentation of women in STEM by providing opportunities for women from eligible counties to continue with their studies and research in STEM subjects.
This scholarship is for postgraduate study and covers:
- tuition fees
- up to 12-months monthly stipend of £1,236 per month to cover costs of living, including accommodation
- accompanying child allowance consistent with UK visa requirements
- IELTS exam fee (for scholars without a valid Test of English)
- return economy-class travel from home country to UK
- visa and insurance or NHS surcharge costs
- be a female passport holder and permanent resident of either Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan or Sri Lanka
- have an admissions offer letter for one of the eligible programmes listed
- be able to take up a full-time course of study in the UK for the academic year from September or October 2023 to 2024
- show a need for financial support
- be in receipt of financial support or funding towards your study programme in the UK from any other source
- not have previously studied at degree level or higher in the UK or lived recently in the UK
- be active in the field with work experience or a proven interest in their subject area
You must also:
- be willing to demonstrate future contribution to capacity-building and socio-economic advancement through the benefits achieved after graduating from UK higher education
- agree to maintain contact with the British Council and act as an ambassador for the UK and engage with activities as part of a Scholarship for Women in STEM alumnus during and after your studies in the UK
- demonstrate a plan and passion to engage other women and girls in STEM from your home country
- agree to your personal data being shared with the British Council as a condition of applying for the scholarship
- have met the relevant English language requirements for their programme by the deadline date
- return to your country of citizenship for a minimum of 2 years after your scholarship award has ended
Deadline to apply
12 May 2023 17:00 UK time.
How to apply
1. Apply to an eligible masters level programme at the University of Southampton using the online form. Please state in your application that you wish to apply for British Scholarship for Women in STEM funding.
2. Complete the scholarship application form.
You will be notified of the outcome of your application by the end of May 2023.
For more information on the British Council Scholarships for Women in STEM, please visit the British Council website.