About the course
If you’re already an experienced radio operator, you can sit the exam without taking this course.
You also need the SRC to operate VHF Digital Selective Calling (DSC) equipment on any British flagged vessel. If you hold the ‘old’ VHF licence (from before 1999) you must get this certificate before you operate newer equipment that has been fitted or interfaced with DSC.
The course covers:
- the basics of radio operation
- the correct frequencies (channels) to be used
- distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) using simulators
- Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue (SART)
We offer this course remotely through the online training platform of the Royal Yachting Association (RYA). Our instructors will be available to answer any questions you have while you study. The course material complements the RYA VHF Manual, which you will be able to order when you book a place on this course.
Once you complete the course you will be given a course completion certificate, which you can use to book an exam. You will be awarded the SRC once you pass the exam and a practical assessment.