Terms of reference
To consider and determine academic appeals by all students under the regulations governing appeals as approved by the Senate. Panels are convened on a case by case basis.
- The President and Vice-Chancellor, or nominee
- A Dean or nominee (from a Faculty other than that of the appellant)
- A member of the academic staff in membership of Senate
- The Students’ Union president or nominee
The Chair may also co-opt onto the Senate Appeals Committee:
- an additional independent member of another Faculty or Professional Service;
- an external representative of the relevant profession where a programme of study is subject to validation by an external professional body;
- in the case of a student studying at another institution for an award accredited by, validated by or made by the University of Southampton, a representative of the host institution.
Members of the Senate Appeals Committee should not have been involved in teaching/supervising the student nor should they have been involved in any previous discussions about the student’s case.