- Education for Sustainable Development
- Waste Management
- Carbon Footprinting
Professor Simon Kemp is an award-winning academic recognised for his student-focused work in ESD and employability through the Times Higher Education ‘Most Innovative Teacher of Year’, a National Teaching Fellowship, and the Green Gowns ‘Sustainability Professional of the Year’ awards amongst others. He is the University Lead in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) as part of the Southampton Sustainability Strategy where he is responsible for the embedding of sustainable development across the whole of the university curricula and student experience. He also set up and runs the ‘Meliora’ Student Sustainability Research Symposium and Journal programme.
Simon is part of the School of Geography and Environmental Science where he is responsible for leading the Environmental Science undergraduate programmes, along with running and contributing to a number of modules in the BSc, MEnvSci and MSc programmes. These modules include ‘Environmental Law and Management’, ‘The Sustainability Professional’, and ‘Sustainability’. As a teaching-focused academic, he enjoys nothing more than working in partnership with students to provide a socially and environmentally responsible transformative experience for all students through innovative teaching, assessment and extra-curricular opportunities, all with a sustainability and student employability focus.
Simon has also held the additional national roles of Academic Lead in ESD for the Higher Education Academy (now Advance HE), Leader of the UK Green Academy Programme, Deputy Chair and Trustee of the Environmental Association of Universities and Colleges (EAUC), Co-Chair of the QAA & Advance HE Education for Sustainable Development Guidance Document Expert Working Groups (2014 & 2021), and Advisory Group Member (and Sustainability content lead) of the QAA Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences and Environmental Studies Subject Benchmark Statement (2022). He has held (and continues to hold) various undergraduate and postgraduate External Examiner positions, and has delivered numerous sustainability events, keynote lectures and workshops across the world.
- CIWM James Jackson Award 2016/17 (2017)
- ISWA Publication Award for 2017 (2017)
- ISWA Publication Award for 2016 (2016)
- Most Downloaded Paper Award for RCR 2017 (2017)
- CIWM Waste Regulation Award for 2014/15 (2015)
- CIWM Waste Regulation Award for 2012/13 (2013)
- CIWM Waste Regulation Award for 2010 (2010)
- Winner: Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education’s Campus Sustainability Research Award 2018 (2018)
- National Teaching Fellow (2010)
- THE Most Innovative Teacher of the Year 2013 (2013)