- Bruce has over twelve years professional investment industry experience in some of the largest investment houses worldwide including France's BNP Paribas, Bahrain's Gulf International Bank, and the UK's Royal Bank of Scotland, HSBC and boutique private equity firm Marshall Wace LLP followed by over fourteen years of national and international teaching, research, leadership and management experience in higher education.
- He has served in a number of senior roles such as Director of PhD Programs of Southampton Business School, Director of DBA Program at Bradford School of Management and Program Leader for MSc Management & Finance degree at University of Sussex Business School
- His research focusses on international corporate governance and institutional governance within predominantly Emerging and Developing Economies such as Africa, Asia, Middle East and Caribbean as well as Japan which has led to 60 published journal articles including over 20 in ABS3*/4 and FT50 rated journals as well as PhD funding from UK's ESRC.
- He also has a strong interests and track record in developing, reviewing, examining, supervising and teaching Accounting, Finance and Governance subjects to undergraduate, postgraduate, research, especially PhD, executive and professional accounting and finance students in a wide variety of institutions and countries around the world.
- Corporate Governance;
- International Comparative Governance;
- Asset Pricing;
- Emerging Economies Business & Finance
Currently, Bruce is leading a number of international research projects on corporate governance and development finance including a focus on Africa, the Caribbean region & offshore centres, Middle East and Japan.
Accounting for Corporate Performance [MANG6320]
PG/UG Research Dissertation Supervision
External roles and responsibilities
Bruce is a Full Professor in Governance at University of Southampton, UK. He has worked as faculty in Bradford, Sussex, Leicester, Bayes Business School, City University of London and King's College London. Bruce is Area Editor for Frontier Markets for "Research in International Business & Finance" and senior editor for "International Journal of Emerging Markets".
Bruce has also been a Visiting Professor at Aalto University (Finland), IESEG Business School (France), Armenian State University of Economics (Yerevan, Armenia) and Dunya University of Afghanistan (Kabul, Afghanistan and Switzerland).
Bruce obtained his PhD from Kings College London, MSc International Business from Birkbeck, University of London and BSc from University of Edinburgh. His PhD was fully supported by a prestigious grant from the UK's Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC).
Bruce has been actively working in international corporate governance research since 2000. Since then, he has worked contractually for some of the largest investment banks in the world including France's BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole Capital Markets, UK's HSBC Investment Bank, and Bahrain's Gulf International Bank and world leading private equity and hedge fund Marshall Wace LLP.
- Finance Track Best Paper Prize” European International Business Academy (2017)
- AIB UK & Ireland “Michael Z. Brooke” Doctoral Prize (2007)