About the course
Jubilee Sports Centre is an approved training centre for the Royal Life Saving Society (RLSS) and offers courses for the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ).
The NPLQ is regulated by Ofqual and covers all elements of:
- pool rescue techniques
- lifeguarding theory
- first aid
The course is physically demanding and will include swimming to set times, lifting casualties and diving to the deepest part of the swimming pool. More information about the course content can be found on the RLSS website.
Assessment is split into 3 sections:
- practical pool assessment
- theory assessment (multiple choice written exam)
- practical first aid and CPR assessment
You must pass all 3 sections to gain the qualification.
For the NPLQ, you must be 16 or over when you take the final assessment and be able to:
- jump or dive into deep water
- swim 50 metres in less than 60 seconds
- swim 100 metres continuously on front and back in deep water
- tread water for 30 seconds
- surface dive to the floor of the pool (Jubilee Sports Centre pool is 2 metres deep)
- climb out unaided without ladder or steps