About the STA Level 2 Award
This STA swimming award aims to produce teachers that can teach up to 12 non-swimmers through to improver participants.
This qualification allows you to teach the STAnley Series of awards up to the Octopus and Goldfish Series of STA International Learn to Swim Programme and Stages 1 to 7 of the Swim England Learn to Swim Programme.
The course consists of 5 mandatory units:
- Safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults
- Planning, delivering, assessing and evaluating swimming lessons
- Understanding a swimming teacher's role
- Understanding the health and safety requirements for an aquatic environment
- Understanding the scientific and learning theories relevant to swimming teaching
The course is split between time in the classroom and time in the pool.
How you'll be assessed
The STA Award in Teaching Swimming is tutor-assessed through the completion of worksheets, schemes of work, lesson plans, lesson evaluation forms and practical teaching. There is also an external assessment of a 30-minute practical lesson on the final day of the course.
To take part in the course you must be:
- over 16 years old
- have current STA membership
After you've qualified
To remain an STA-approved swimming teacher, and to receive the benefit of STA public liability insurance, you'll be required to:
- retain your STA membership
- keep your knowledge and skills up to date
- regularly update your DBC check