About this course
Explore the specialist engineering and aerospace systems that keep planes in the air. Take advanced modules that specialise in wing design, propulsion and manufacturing. Southampton has offered aerospace engineering degrees since the 1930s, and many of our graduates go on to successful careers in the space industry, aerospace or defence sector.
Along with the core topics of mechanical engineering, this degree focuses on:
You'll use our design workshops and studios, and gain practical experience in aircraft and spacecraft engineering, for a variety of projects.
As part of this course you can:
study management and design to improve your employability
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
visit industry and research establishments for a real-world view of possible careers
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3H4 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- Our 4-year MEng Mechanical Engineering master’s degree is a pathway to chartered engineer status. Gain specialist knowledge and work for a year in industry.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering and Acoustical Engineering master’s degree study subjects from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career in automotive electronic engineering with this master's. Specialise in race cars, propulsion, structural design and automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- On our Meng Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering degree explore human factors in engineering with biological and medical healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in mechanical engineering management.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- Become a Chartered Engineer with this MEng Mechanical and Materials Engineering degree. Explore material design and manufacture, and gain industry experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Integrate mechanical and mechatronics engineering to create innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Become a Chartered Engineer.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Apply your engineering knowledge to marine environments with a naval engineering degree. Design ships and maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in renewable energy engineering, such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.