About this course
Explore the specialist engineering and aerospace systems that keep planes in the air. Take advanced modules that specialise in wing design, propulsion and manufacturing. Southampton has offered aerospace degrees since the 1930s, and many of our graduates go on to successful careers in the space industry, aerospace or defence sector.
Along with the core topics of mechanical engineering, this degree focuses on:
You'll use our design workshops and studios and gain practical experience for a variety of projects.
As part of this course you can:
study management and design to improve your employability
showcase your work in our annual Engineering Design Show
visit industry and research establishments for a real-world view of possible careers
You can take this course with an additional year-long, paid placement. Apply with UCAS code H3H4 for the Industrial Placement Year option.
We're a designated university for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS).
This course is fully accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and offers a route to chartered status.
If you’d prefer a more general approach, or you’d like to focus on a different specialism, you can choose from our other pathways.
- Mechanical Engineering
- This 4-year degree puts you on the route to becoming a chartered engineer. Gain specialist knowledge and work experience with a year-long industry placement.
- Mechanical Engineering / Acoustical Engineering
- Study mechanical engineering and the positive and negative factors of acoustical engineering, from reducing aircraft noise to optimising sound for music venues.
- Mechanical Engineering / Automotive Engineering
- Prepare for a career as an engineer in the automotive sector. Specialise in areas that interest you, from race cars to automotive electronics.
- Mechanical Engineering / Biomedical Engineering
- Biomedical engineering is a fast-developing field. Explore human factors in engineering, alongside the biological and medical aspects of healthcare technology.
- Mechanical Engineering / Engineering Management
- Gain technical skills, and learn how to manage process, people and finances. This degree will prepare you for a career in the engineering sector and beyond.
- Mechanical Engineering / Materials
- The 4-year integrated MEng degree will prepare you to become a chartered engineer. Explore material design and manufacture and gain industry work experience.
- Mechanical Engineering / Mechatronics
- Learn how to integrate electrical and mechanical systems into innovative products, from autonomous robots to self-driving cars. Gain skills that are in demand.
- Mechanical Engineering / Naval Engineering
- Learn and apply your engineering knowledge to the marine environment. Design cutting-edge ships and other maritime craft for the Royal Navy and private sector.
- Mechanical Engineering / Sustainable Energy Systems
- Gain in-depth training in emerging energy technologies such as wind turbines, solar cells, batteries and fuel cells. Graduate with strong engineering skills.
This qualification is awarded by the University of Southampton.
Download the programme specification
The programme specification sets out the learning outcomes of this course and details how the course is taught and assessed.