Professor Vlachantoni is Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes and Admissions Tutor in the Department of Gerontology. She is a member of the UK Social Policy Association, the British Society of Gerontology, and the British Society of Population Studies. She is also a member of the ESRC Peer Review College, Chair of the ESRC Grant Assessment Panel (D), and Director of the ESRC South Coast Doctoral Training Partnership. She is Deputy Editor of Ageing & Society, and a member of the Editorial Board for the Journal of Social Policy. Professor Vlachantoni was elected as a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2022.
- Informal care provision and receipt
- Unmet need for social care
- Pension protection
- Health inequalities across the lifecourse
- Ethnic diversity and accumulated (dis)advantages across the lifecourse
Professor Vlachantoni is currently involved in two research projects:
- Co-Investigator in the ESRC Centre for Population Change - Connecting Generations research programme (2022-27). As part of this programme, Professor Vlachantoni leads a Strand on Intergenerational flows of support in later life. She works with Professor Falkingham, Professor Evandrou and Dr Qin to investigate flows of support upwards and downwards between generations, focusing on financial, emotional and instrumental contributions.
- Principal Investigator of the ESRC project on Promoting inclusivity in pension protection and other forms of saving among men and women from black and minority ethnic communities in the UK: a mixed methods study (2023-26). She works with Dr Yin (Winchester School of Art) and two Research Fellows to examine the determinants and direct perspectives of pension protection and saving among minority ethnic communities in the UK.
Professor Vlachantoni teaches on the MSc programmes in the Department of Gerontology and the MSc Social Research Methods programme of the ESRC South Coast Doctoral Training Partnership. She also teaches modules offered to Undergraduate students in the University of Southampton, and one module offered to the Southampton Medical School.
Professor Vlachantoni convenes the following modules in 2022-23:
- UOSM2041 Emerging and Resilient India (with Professor Padmadas)
- UOSM2042 Are you ready for the 100-year life? (with Dr Li)
- GERO6022 Poverty and social protection around the world (Distance Learning) (with Dr Li)
- GERO6027 Ageing in China and South East Asia (Distance Learning) (with Dr Jiaxin Liu)
- RESM6305 Mixed Methods
- Student Selected Unit3: Ageing over the Lifecourse (Medicine)
External roles and responsibilities
Professor Vlachantoni joined the University of Southampton in 2007, following a PhD in Social Policy at the London School of Economics and Political Science, an MSc Comparative Social Policy at the University of Oxford (Wolfson College) and a BA Social Policy and Politics at Royal Holloway, University of London.
- ESRC Celebrating Impact Prize (2020)
- University of Southampton Vice-Chancellor's Award (2012)
- University of Southampton Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Award (Department of Gerontology Team) (2012)