Our achievements in engineering span the last 3 centuries, during which we have used sound science and creative engineering to help shape the world you know today. Our expertise looks deep below the Earth's crust, reaches into space and encompasses everything in between. In particular, we pride ourselves on our specialist knowledge in 4 key areas: aerospace, biomedical engineering, infrastructure and sports engineering.
Bronze Athena SWAN award
We've been recognised for our ongoing commitment to addressing gender inequality.
Our outstanding facilities include the largest towing tank in any UK university and a wind tunnel complex used by Formula One and Olympic athletes.
Top 10in the UK for engineering
3rd for aeronautical and aerospace engineering, 5th for civil engineering and 8th for mechanical engineering.
One of the largest and most diverse engineering schools in Europe, we provide a research-led education in world class facilities that equips and empowers our students to apply fundamental scientific understanding and knowledge to complex, real-world engineering challenges.
Research groups, centres and institutes bring together specialists to share knowledge and solve problems.
- Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics
- Bioengineering Science
- Computational Engineering and Design
- Computational and Systems Biology
- Energy and Climate Change
- Energy Technology
- Engineering Materials and Surface Engineering
- Institute of Sound and Vibration Research
- Maritime Engineering
- µ-VIS X-ray Imaging Centre
- National Centre for Advanced Tribology at Southampton
- Signal Processing, Audio and Hearing
- Water and Environmental Engineering