Professor Hazel Everitt is Head of the Primary Care Research Centre, and Deputy Head of the School of Primary Care, Population Sciences and Medical Education at Southampton University and Deputy Academic Capacity Development lead for the NIHR School of Primary Care Research.
She undertakes clinical work as a GP at New Horizons Medical Partnership in Totton, Southampton.
Her research interests include supporting patients to self-manage their conditions, improving communication in healthcare consultations, developing internet based support tools and improving the translation of research evidence into clinical practice. She leads large clinical trials in primary care.
She is also co-Author of the award winning Oxford Handbook of General Practice. A handbook that provides a concise synthesis of the best evidence and sources of other information to help GPs and other primary care clinicians manage the broad range of conditions seen in primary care.
Please visit the Primary Care Research Centre website to view our research themes and projects.
- Supporting Self-management
- Healthcare communication
- Development of digital interventions
- Translation of research evidence into practice
Prof Hazel Everitt's current research includes:
- Co-Chief-Investigator for the NIHR HTA funded ATLANTIS Trial assessing clinical and cost-effctiveness of low dose amitriptyline for IBS
- Co-Chief-Investigator for the NIHR SPCR funded TIP Trial assessing a digital intervention to enhance primary care practitioners communication
- Principle Investigator for the NIHR HTA funded ATHENA Trial assessing the clinical and cost effectiveness of low dose amitriptyline to prevent post herpetic neuralgia
- Co-Investigator on the NIHR Programme grant, DISCA, developing and testing an digital intevention to improve sleep in children with ADHD
Current PhD Students
- Fellow of the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) 2016
- RCGP John Fry award for contribution to the discipline of General Practice through research and publishing 2016