This module is about exploring education systems in a wide range of different countries. In studying this module, you will develop your skills in assessing the outcomes and inequalities of different educational systems. You will also develop your understanding of the ways in which international comparisons of educational performance, such as PISA, have influenced the curriculum at both global and at local levels.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Explore education in other countries and to critically reflect on horizontal themes of inequalities.
- Explore the rationales and impact of international comparisons of educational performance in a range of different economic systems.
- Critically reflect how international comparisons of educational performance have influenced curriculum and education practice across different economic systems.
- Critical analysis of school level and national levels practices to mainstream educational provision: educational practices such as streaming, setting, ability grouping, assessment for learning; technical and vocational education in different countries and national examination practices in different countries.
- Alternative educational practices in different countries: research on formal and non-formal educational provision; the growth of private education.
- Meanings and models of comparative education; use and misuse of comparative data; cross country comparisons of educational performance.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
Typically, this module is taught through weekly sessions plus one group tutorial session to prepare for the assessment.
- Participation in seminar groups
- Group and class discussion
- Directed reading
- Suggested additional research
|Total study time||150|
Resources & Reading list
Other. Selected articles from Comparative Education, International Review of Education , International Journal of Educational Development, Comparative Education Review , and Current Issues in Comparative Education.
Sieglinde Jornitz Marcelo Parreira do Amaral Editors (2021). The Education Systems of the Americas. Münster, Germany: Springer.
Phillips, D and Schweisfurth, M (2014). Comparative and international education: An introduction to theory, method, and practice.. London: Bloomsbury Academic.
The Education Systems of Europe. Springer: Dordecht, the Netherlands.
Education at a Glance: Highlights. Paris: OECD Publishing.
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
|Group Poster Presentation||60%|
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
An internal repeat is where you take all of your modules again, including any you passed. An external repeat is where you only re-take the modules you failed.
Repeat type: Internal & External