These scholarships are offered by the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission and funded by the UK Department for International Development. They are for students from least-developed Commonwealth countries and fragile states who want to study for a PhD in the UK.
This scholarship covers: your tuition fees
- return travel costs
- a monthly stipend
- an allowances package
Candidates will be chosen based on:
- academic merit of the candidate
- quality of the plan of study
- potential impact on the development of the candidate’s home country
- be a British Protected Person, a citizen, or a refugee in, one of the eligible countries and live there
- be available to start your studies in September 2024
- not be registered for a PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at either a UK university, in your home country or elsewhere before September 2024
- have the support of a potential supervisor from at least one UK university listed in your application form
- be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- provide all supporting documentation in the required format
You must also have either a first degree of at least upper second class (2:1) honours or a second class degree (2:2) and a relevant postgraduate qualification (a master’s degree) by September 2024.
This scholarship is for study across a range of subject areas. It is offered to students whose studies fall under one of these themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- The Gambia
Deadline for applying
17 October 2023 at 4pm UK time.
How to apply
1. Apply through your local national nominating agency or non-governmental organisation and charitable bodies.
2. Apply for your PhD programme at Southampton, stating that you wish to be considered for Commonwealth Scholarship funding.
The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission provides more information on this scholarship.