Skip to main navigationSkip to main content
The University of Southampton

PHYS2022 Physics from Evidence I

Module Overview

The PHYS2022 Physics from Evidence I module consists of three parts: Teaching Lab, Computing Module and Student Conference. The Teaching Lab and Computing Modules run through the first 10 weeks of the semester and the Student Conference is in week 12.

Aims and Objectives

Learning Outcomes

Subject Specific Intellectual and Research Skills

Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:

  • Define core principles of physics through a series of laboratory experiments.
  • Gain knowledge in data collection, handling and analysis by using commercial software and computational codes written by the students.
  • Develop skills in the oral presentation of experimental results.
Transferable and Generic Skills

Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:

  • Practice methods of recording laboratory work and experimental data.
  • Hands-on experience in experiments involving different techniques (optical, electrical, acoustic measurements).
  • Development of computational skills (programming in Python) and their applications to data analysis.
  • Examine methods for handling experimental data: data collection, plot and curve fitting, estimation of uncertainties and significance testing, comparison to theory.
  • Gain practical experience in the oral presentation of scientific results.
Subject Specific Practical Skills

Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:

  • Write computer programs for the solution of physics problems and simulations of physical systems.
  • Handle data analysis and error propagation. Gain experience with experimental techniques and data collection.


The course will consist of Laboratory and Computing sections. In the Laboratory section of the course students will perform and record a selection of experiments from the list below and make a short presentation on one of the experiments. - Normal Modes - Black Body Radiation - Semiconductors to p-n junctions and photoconduction - Atomic Excitation Potentials - Gamma Ray Spectroscopy - Diffraction and Interference of Light - Speed of Electromagnetic Waves The Computing section will cover basic ideas in programming and applications to physics covering functions, arrays, series and sums, graph plotting, numerical integration, random numbers, data fitting and differential equations.

Learning and Teaching

Wider reading or practice45
Completion of assessment task93
Supervised time in studio/workshop12
Total study time150


Assessment Strategy

For the Laboratory part of the course, each experiment will be assessed in the following way. The preparation before the start of each experiment, including answers to set prelim questions and the understanding of the relevant, background physics will count for 15% of the final mark for the practical. The remaining 85% of the mark will come from the assessment of the quality of work, data presentation and analysis. Lab books have to be submitted on time for marking; no late submissions will be accepted and the practical will get a mark of zero. Students have to arrive punctually for the lab sessions; the attendance list is taken down at 10:15 am and students arriving after that will not be allowed to start a practical and will receive zero marks for this experiment. Referral: Students must get at least 40% mark in all three parts (Teaching Lab, Computing Module and Conference). Failure to meet this target without good cause will mean that the student will not have referral rights, and will have to register as a part time student (with part time fees) in the next academic year. There are no referrals or deferrals for this module in the Summer Supplementary Examination period. If you fail in this module (or are deferred), the normal referral (deferral) procedure is to take the module again in the following academic year as an internal student. You will not pass the corresponding Part of your degree programme until you pass this core module. For the COMPUTING MODULE referral is possible by mean of a special one-day session during the summer break. Sections 1-8 will be marked and contribute to the average determining the final mark. Files have to be submitted within deadlines. No late submissions will be accepted.


MethodPercentage contribution
Continuous Assessment 100%


MethodPercentage contribution
Set Task 100%

Repeat Information

Repeat type: Internal & External

Linked modules

Pre-requisites: PHYS1017 AND PHYS1019

Share this module Share this on Facebook Share this on Twitter Share this on Weibo
Privacy Settings