The University of Southampton
Courses

SOES2004 Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology

Module Overview

Aims and Objectives

Module Aims

1. To give a basic understanding of the mechanisms which control the diversity of igneous rocks and to emphasise the relationship between tectonic setting and igneous rock suites. 2. To outline the environments of metamorphism and the main compositional groups of metamorphic rocks. 3. To examine reaction processes and to introduce techniques for quantification of P-T conditions of metamorphism. 4. To consider the interrelationships between deformation and metamorphism.

Learning Outcomes

Learning Outcomes

Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:

  • Identify the common rock forming minerals of igneous and metamorphic rocks in both hand specimen and thin-section.
  • Identify key textural/micro structural features of igneous and metamorphic rocks and appreciate the significance of such features with regard to geological processes that have operated.
  • Assign a name to an igneous or metamorphic rock on the basis of its mineralogical and textural characteristics, and appreciate the environment(s) of formation.
  • Practical experience of rock and mineral identification in hand specimen and in thin-section using a transmitted light microscope.
  • Ability to interpret phase diagrams relevant to igneous systems and petrogenic grids relevant to metamorphic systems on the basis of mineral assemblages recorded in the rock.
  • Ability to make detailed and annotated petrographic sketches from thin-section observation and to summarise the salient features and relate the chemistry of the system and environment of formation.

Syllabus

Methods: Coverage of igneous rock classification (mineralogical/geochemical); the use of geochemistry in petrogenetic concepts; an introduction to phase petrology and the concepts of partial melting and fractional crystallisation; a brief review of the main igneous rock spectrum and their tectonic setting. Introduction to the concept of metamorphic facies as a means of defining P-T conditions; quantitative geothermometry/ geobarometry; evaluating the role of bulk rock chemistry, fluid chemistry and P-T conditions in controlling metamorphic reactions; interpretation of textures and microstructures of metamorphic rocks. Practicals: Hand specimen and thin-section description of various igneous and metamorphic rocks. Evaluation of P-T condition of metamorphism based on phase assemblages.

Special Features

The best-performing student on this module may be awarded the Mineralogical Society Prize at the end of the year.

Learning and Teaching

Teaching and learning methods

Formal lectures: will provide an introduction to the theory underlying metamorphism, phase petrology, igneous rock classification and the use of geochemistry in petrogenetic concepts. Practical classes & demonstrations: will exemplify the theory and allow you to develop skills in hand specimen and thin section description of various igneous and metamorphic rocks. Practical classes are fully interactive affording hands-on experience of using geological equipment under laboratory conditions. Practical manuals are an integral part of the course. A wide range of support can be provided for those students who have further or specific learning and teaching needs.

TypeHours
Independent Study88
Lecture26
Practical classes and workshops36
Total study time150

Assessment

Assessment Strategy

Assessment Method Theory examination (50%): A 2-hour written examination comprising two sections - one on igneous petrology and the other on metamorphic petrology. A total of 3 questions must be answered, with at least 1 from each section. Tests learning outcomes 1-2. Igneous coursework (25%): Three pieces of coursework to be handed in at the end of practical classes (10% total) and a practical examination of petrological techniques in igneous systems and knowledge of igneous terminology and processes (15% total). Tests Learning Outcomes 1-3. Metamorphic coursework (25%): Two pieces of coursework to be handed in at the end of practical classes and a practical examination. Tests Learning Outcomes 1-3.

Summative

MethodPercentage contribution
Igneous coursework 25%
Metamorphic coursework 25%
Theory examination  (2 hours) 50%
Share this module Share this on Facebook Share this on Google+ Share this on Twitter Share this on Weibo

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we will assume that you are happy to receive cookies on the University of Southampton website.

×