This course is designed to illustrate the ways in which the theoretical principles of biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology presented in previous courses can be applied to yield important commercial or therapeutic products or processes.
Aims and Objectives
Having successfully completed this module you will be able to:
- Explain the use of gene cloning to produce recombinant proteins in both prokaryotic and eukaryotic hosts.
- Describe how gene therapy can be used, to treat human disease and how liposomes and viruses can be used to deliver the gene of interest
- Describe the use of ScFvs in the design of human monoclonal antibodies
- Describe how antibody engineering can be used to treat human disease
- Critically appraise current methodology in Biotechnology
- Describe how pre-clinical models are used to test potential new therapies.
- Explain the use of stem cells and their use in medical applications
- Describe the use of DNA as molecule for detecting small molecules, nucleic acids and proteins.
This module concentrates on biotechnology that involves prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells. It introduces students to the technologies of the “post genomic” era. It also presents examples of protein engineering, the manipulation of the characteristics of protein molecules such as antibodies and antibody-binding proteins. The course also includes material on the production of therapeutic proteins, the use of gene therapy and stem cells to treat human disease, and the pre-clinical models required to test them.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching and learning methods
This course comprises:
i)20 lectures with 2 feedback/revision seminars. (For each section of the course the student is given a comprehensive reading list of recent research and review papers).
ii)A conference abstract (350 words) and poster documenting a case study of the methodology used to produce a therapeutic agent.
iii)A written 2 hour examination.
|Total study time||150|
This is how we’ll formally assess what you have learned in this module.
This is how we’ll assess you if you don’t meet the criteria to pass this module.
Repeat type: Internal & External