This course introduces the fundamental concepts and techniques of artificial intelligence (AI) .
This unit aims to give a broad introduction to the rapidly-developing field of AI covering a range of approaches (modern, classical, symbolic, and statistical). This should prepare students for specialist options in semester 2.
- Classical and modern approaches to AI
- The principal achievements and shortcomings of AI.
- The main techniques that have been used in AI, and their range of applicability
- The philosophical basis of AI
- Challenges for the future of AI